Try This Thursday 6/4 – compression socks

This is not a “sponsored post”. I received a pair of Lily Trotters compression socks for free, in the hope that it would be mentioned on this site. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe could be good for my readers.

Compression socks: fun-looking, brightly colored socks that workout enthusiasts and long distance runners have been sporting as of late. Do you own a pair? Wonder what the hype is all about?

Effectiveness

When I think of compression socks, I think of post-surgery patients and airplane passengers who are trying to prevent blood clots. But that’s not necessarily the case in today’s fitness world.

I know that many runners choose to wear compression socks during their runs. As a “meh” runner but lover of strength training, I looked up reasons why compression socks could be good for gym workouts. Studies have shown that compression socks may lessen the severity and/or duration of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). According to Runner’s World, another study states that wearing compression gear after workouts could lessen decreases in muscle strength and power. This means that one could resume training more quickly.

Lily Trotters

Susan, founder of Lily Trotters, graciously sent me a pair of compression socks after learning that I had never tried them before.  Before I even took them out of the bag, the cute pattern and detailing at the top of the sock caught my eye.

Try This Thursday: compression socks - Hello to Fit

The socks felt thick enough to withstand many uses, and I loved the cushioned heel and tight squeeze. My feet run small and I was pleasantly surprised at how well these socks fit around my feet.

Try This Thursday: compression socks - Hello to Fit

Extra bonus? Moisture-wicking material. CRUCIAL for workouts and for feet that have no desire to be smelly. I chose to slip these on after my strength training workout, and my calves and feet felt great. Comfortable and compressed!

Lily Trotters is launching soon on Kickstarter. If you’re interested in this product, head here and sign up to receive notification of the launch, as well as early-bird prices.

This has been another edition of Try This Thursday with Ivanna of Petite Heartbeat. Check out her experience with compression socks here.

• Do you wear compression socks during: airplane rides, runs, or strength workouts?
  • What happens more frequently: runs on the treadmill or outdoors?
  • Tell me about your most recent strength workout
  • What’s for lunch today?

• Meredith

June 4, 2015 at 6:49 am

I once tried wearing compression socks post-run/workout… can’t say anything major happened but I imagine it’s the kind of difference that you notice with more use.

These are by far the cutest compression socks I’ve ever seen!
    Meredith recently posted…Celebrate National Running Day with Charity MilesMy Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Yes, perhaps 🙂 I’d be interested to see how my body responds after wearing them more. Thanks!

June 4, 2015 at 8:29 am

Those compression socks are so cute! I love wearing compression socks after any workout to recover quicker!
    Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted…Confessions of a Tone It Up Girl: The Power of a CommunityMy Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Thanks, Brie! My legs and feet felt great while wearing them.

June 4, 2015 at 8:34 am

Those are way too cute! Love the pattern!
    Annmarie recently posted…eShakti Dress Review: Fashion You Can Customize With A Click!My Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Thanks, Annmarie! <3

June 4, 2015 at 9:08 am

Those are super cute Jess! I’ve never seen any that “girly” love them. All great reasons to use them, great post lady!
    Ivanna recently posted…How to Prevent and Treat Shin Splints (Try this Thursday)My Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Thanks, Ivanna! Now, off to check out your post 😉

• She Rocks Fitness

June 4, 2015 at 10:34 am

I LOVE how cute these are…I’m a sucker for fun product. I recently was asked to try compression socks as well and it was my first time using them. I LOVE them and can totally see a difference. Since it is so hot and humid here in Houston, my legs tend to swell after long runs, so they’re perfect. XOXO
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Currently Loving THIS Week…My Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I think I saw you wearing them – were they hot pink?? You looked great in them 🙂

June 4, 2015 at 11:09 am

Those are absolutly adorable! I actually try to do compression on long plane rides. These would be perfect!
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Summer Hiking & Hiking Shoe Giveaway!My Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Thanks, Julie! I’ve never worn compression socks for long plane rides, but could see how they work 🙂

• Lauren

June 4, 2015 at 11:14 am

I got sent a pair to try too. I agree that they are super cute and I love the detailing at the top!
    Lauren recently posted…National Running Day 2015: 10 Ways to CelebrateMy Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Yes for sure! That’s awesome that you got a pair, as well 🙂

June 4, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I love compression socks, but I don’t know that I am fancy enough to pull these ones off. They look super cute on you!
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Passing the NASM Certified Personal Training ExamMy Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Haha I think you could totally pull them off!! Thanks 🙂

June 4, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Ahhh! Those are adorable. Compression socks are life-changers!
    Lauren | Just a Pinch recently posted…When life gives you snorkeling gearMy Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Thanks, Lauren! I’ve only worn them post-workout so far, but want to try them during exercise 🙂

June 4, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I love compression socks but typically only wear them for recovery after a long run but I also wear them on my long 12 hour shifts at the hospital. They really do make a huge difference!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Thinking Out Loud: Yes, I’m still alive….My Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I’ve only worn them for recovery, as well. Curious how they’d feel during a run! Oh, I could definitely see how they’d be beneficial during your hospital shifts.

• Liz

June 4, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I AM a runner, but have never tried compression socks. Thanks for sharing!

June 4, 2015 at 8:07 pm

My pleasure, Liz! Hope you get the chance to try a pair sometime 🙂

• Cailee

June 4, 2015 at 4:50 pm

These are SO cute!! …and I love that they work! …also, to answer your question- I had tacos for lunch!!
    Cailee recently posted…Thrifty Thursday!My Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Thanks, Cailee! Mmm, tacos for lunch sound awesome.

• Crystan Blanco @ Fancy Frugal Fit

June 4, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Those are the cutest compression socks I have ever seen! I have plain, ugly black ones that I wear during race training and Insanity. They work amazingly well, but they are NOT pretty hahah
    Crystan Blanco @ Fancy Frugal Fit recently posted…Pardon My RantMy Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Aren’t they cute?! Quite feminine, yet still do their job.

• Ange @ Cowgirl Runs

June 4, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I love my Lily Trotters! I can’t wait for the Kickstarter campaign to go live 🙂
    Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted…More Marathon MusingsMy Profile

June 4, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Aren’t they awesome?!

June 4, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Those compression socks are adorable! 😀 I haven’t actually ever tried wearing them since I don’t run or anything, but they’d be wonderful for long trips!
    Farrah recently posted…Why I Don’t Want KidsMy Profile

June 11, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Thanks, Farrah! I haven’t used them for runs, either, but that’s because I don’t run often 😉 haha.

• Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner

June 4, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I really like them for longer runs and for warmth in the winter on runs. I haven’t tried that brand but they are so darn cute! I like them to fit very tightly.
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Reston Sprint Tri Recap & What’s next?My Profile

June 11, 2015 at 7:01 pm

It was my first pair, and I’d definitely want to try wearing them more often post-workout. And during my occasional runs 😉

June 4, 2015 at 10:13 pm

How stinkin cute are these socks!!! Love that the use of compression socks can help reduce DOMS – that’s a great reason right there to wear these!! I’m in the same boat as you – I’ve never worn compression socks but my sister swears by them. She is on her feet 12-15 hours a day between beauty school and working as a waitress.
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Grilled ShrimpMy Profile

June 11, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Oh, I could totally see how a waitress would benefit from wearing compression socks!!

• Janelle @ Wholly Healthy

June 5, 2015 at 3:53 am

I find compression socks really helpful for recovery post-run. The ruffle at the top of these are so cute!
    Janelle @ Wholly Healthy recently posted…Canadian Summer Fit Gear ExchangeMy Profile

June 11, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Thanks, Janelle 🙂 I like the ruffles too.

• Lauren @ ihadabiglunch

June 5, 2015 at 10:19 am

Oooo moisture-wicking compression socks? Interesting! I say that as I sit here wearing my compression socks haha but I don’t think they’re moisture-wicking. Yours are really cute too!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…My Fair CityMy Profile