For lack of a better introduction, it’s my birthday today! Since I won’t be in town this weekend, my friends carved some time off of their evenings to meet me for dinner. We went to Mas Taps, a local tapas restaurant near downtown Charlottesville:
It was too dark to snap pictures worthy of sharing, but we ordered a bunch of delicious little plates, including: bacon wrapped dates (given), carne asada, grilled artichokes, goat cheese artichoke dip, and mussels. So thankful for these people in my life!
Before parting with you all for the weekend (unless you’re on Instagram – you’ll see me there), I wanted to share a new recipe that I’m digging: curry sweet potato eggplant saute.
Spicy vegetable goodness
Do you ever find lonely bags of spices in the back of the cabinet? Ingredients that were once needed, but perhaps forgotten soon after the recipe was tested? That is what happened to the poor little bag of curry powder from the bulk aisle at Whole Foods Market.
I knew I wanted to make a side dish that included eggplant and curry powder. The sweet potato was an extra treat – not to mention it adds flavor, color, and texture.
What goes with that curry flavor? Coconut. For me, at least. Anyone else?
I didn’t have coconut milk in the pantry, but the coconut oil from Trader Joe’s would give the dish that subtle coconut flavor I was craving.
After a few more measurements and some simple chopping, this dish came alive over the stove. The comforting scent of sauteed garlic (mixed with olive and coconut oil) permeated the kitchen; it was followed by warm spices like curry powder, turmeric, and cumin. Saute the diced sweet potato and eggplant, and we were good to go!
I’d imagine serving this dish alongside a hot bowl of Freekeh, or maybe even as a savory vegetarian snack. Either way, it’s a spice-y bowl of curry veggie goodness!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tabelspoons coconut oil
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- freshly grated pepper
- freshly chopped green onion, for garnish
- In a large pan or dutch oven, heat olive oil and 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sweet potato, sauteeing for about five minutes.
- Add Kosher salt, spices, and eggplant, sauteeing for approximately 8-10 minutes. Add up to 1 tablespoon coconut oil if needed.
- Remove from heat and place on a serving dish, garnishing with green onion. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 339 Calories from fat 263|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 29||45%|
|Saturated Fat 13||65%|
|Dietary Fiber 0||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- Are you a vegetarian?
- Curry – yay or nay?
- How did you last enjoy eggplant?
- What is your favorite type of ethnic food?
- Any plans for the weekend?