Vietnamese puff pastry pies

Link up with us every week for Foodie Friday! | Hello to Fit

Shorter work week plus an exciting new blogging adventure? I’ll take it! Farrah and the ladies of Foodie Friday have graciously invited me to be a fellow co-host of their weekly link-up, and I’m ecstatic to be a part of it.

Have a recipe you’d like to share, too? Join Annmarie, Esther, Farrah, and myself for the par-tay!

This week’s theme is “savory breakfast”, and I couldn’t help but think of my favorite childhood (okay, and adulthood) Vietnamese pastry.

Craving a savory breakfast? Try this Vietnamese puff pastry pie | Hello to Fit @hellotofit

This cute little puff pastry pie is called bánh patê sô. Buttery, flaky puff pastry filled with a savory meat mixture (generally pork). Almost every time I visit family back home, we stop by Eden Center in Falls Church so that I can grab some for the trip back to Charlottesville.

There are times when my stomach grumbles for a sweet-tasting breakfast: French toast, crepes with Nutella, or a batch of blueberry banana pancakes. Other times? Scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, or this Vietnamese puff pastry pie. Easy to make and quick to re-heat, these are a nice breakfast (or snack) option that remind me of home.

Yes, I realize that I’m about to share the recipe (which, by the way, is adapted from my wonderful Auntie P) for a not-so-healthy food item. Puff pastry is generally made with white flour and lots (I repeat: LOTS) of butter. I used chicken instead of pork, which increases the health value by a bit. However, the puff pastry is my favorite part; I want to spread the goodness to your kitchen while maintaining as much authenticity as possible. Either way, it’s about balance, right? For me, I can accept the fact that I love butter, dough, and sweets (or savory puff pastry pies) and not go overboard 24/7.

Vietnamese puff pastry pies
Serves: 9
  • ¾ lb ground chicken
  • ½ yellow onion, finely diced
  • Soy sauce, to taste (I used about 1-2 teaspoons)
  • Kosher salt
  • ½ tablespoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 package puff pastry sheets (contains 3 sheets)
  • 1 egg, for egg wash
  • Up to ½ tablespoon sugar
  • 1-2 tabelspoons Liverwurst or pate
  1. Mix chicken, onion, soy sauce, salt, pepper, sugar, and pate in a medium bowl. Taste-test by placing a small bit of the meat mixture on a plate and cooking in microwave. Adjust according to taste.
  2. Meanwhile, defrost puff pastry according to directions on package and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  3. To assemble pies: using a knife, cut each puff pastry sheet in half. Set aside three. Line three 1-tablespoon portions of meat mixture onto each of the remaining three puff pastry sheets.
  4. Place one puff pastry sheet over-top of the ones topped with meat. Using a knife, separate sheets into nine pies. Crimp edges with the edge of a fork, and top each pie with egg wash.
  5. With a toothpick, poke a tiny slit at the top to allow steam to release while baking.
  6. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until pies are golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
  7. Pies can be stored in an airtight container and reheated in a toaster oven/oven.

• What’s your favorite savory breakfast dish?
  • Tell me about a restaurant/food item you have to get when you visit your hometown…
  • It’s Friday! Any plans this weekend?
  • What’s one food item you can accept in its not-so-healthy form?

September 11, 2015 at 6:44 am

OH YUM. Puff pastry is my favorite, and I love the Vietnamese flavors. And these are so easy! Love it!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Fit Foodie Finds: Healthy Snacks Rocking My WorldMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm

So buttery…so doughy..YUM.

September 11, 2015 at 7:20 am

Those look so tasty! I have a date night tonight with my hubby! Oh and today I donate my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths 🙂
    Daisy @ Fit Wanderlust Runner recently posted…Thoughts On My Next RaceMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Hope you had a wonderful date night! And, love your new hair 🙂

September 11, 2015 at 7:46 am

Oh these look delightful! I can’t lie, I like butter too. And pastries… and cookies… lol. But I totally agree its about balance and a little butter never hurt 😉 Pinning for later when I want to test my pastry making skills 🙂
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Coconut Cashew Hemp Bars [No Bake, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free]My Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Hehehe I bet we’d have the most delicious pastry date!

• lindsay

September 11, 2015 at 7:55 am

we are so on the same page here. childhood favorites! and i want yours stat! teach me your ways! YUM!

• Heather@hungryforbalance

September 11, 2015 at 8:01 am

I have never tried to make a puff pastry before, but these give me a good reason to give it a try. They look delicious and the pictures are beautiful!
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…Fridays are one of My Favorite ThingsMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Thanks, Heather! I bought the puff pastries in the frozen section, but they’re simple to assemble otherwise!

September 11, 2015 at 9:28 am

You can’t go wrong with Puff Pastry!
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Oven Baked Sweet Potato ChipsMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Never! It’s too good.

September 11, 2015 at 9:29 am

Those look amazing! I am seriously so hungry right now! My grandma used to make meat pies like that with lamb, brings me back to my childhood too!
    Annmarie recently posted…Foodie Friday: Sweet Potato Waffle Hash with Fried Egg + Sriracha!My Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Mmm any meat pie is delish! It’s cool how each country has their own version of a “pie”.

• Mike@TheIronYou

September 11, 2015 at 10:36 am

OK, now I want – more like need – one of the these bad boys. They look incredible. Job well done Jess!
    Mike@TheIronYou recently posted…Green Goddess Quinoa Salad with Feta CheeseMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Thanks, Mike! I have leftover filling, which means I will most likely be making these again 😉

• Nicole @ Fitful Focus

September 11, 2015 at 12:27 pm

YUM with a capital Y, U & M!!! Looks so good!
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Fit & Fashionable Friday: Brick Betty ReviewMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Fo sho. 🙂

• rebecca

September 11, 2015 at 2:01 pm

YUM! I love Vietnamese flavors, can’t wait to try this recipe
    rebecca recently posted…A Nourished Week: September 7-11My Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Would love to hear what you think if you end up trying it out! Happy weekend 🙂

• Charlotte

September 11, 2015 at 5:34 pm

This looks delicious. I’m a huge lover of puff pastry. If eating a treat, may as well go all in! Why skimp on the butter? I agree about moderation.
    Charlotte recently posted…Monday Motivational Song and Weekly WorkoutsMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:32 pm

EXACTLY! Love me some butter 😉

September 12, 2015 at 12:48 am

Yayy! We’re so happy to have you joining us! <3! I've never seen these before, but they look amazing! <3 They kinda remind me of these Chinese chicken pastry-lookin' things that you can get in Asian bakeries. I need to try making this once I have a kitchen in my life again! :O
    Farrah recently posted…Foodie Friday: Breakfast In A CupMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Haha I think Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine blend together a little – I think lots of Viet dishes have Chinese influences!

• Diatta @ Femme Fitale Fit Club

September 12, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Puff pastry is like heaven isn’t it? I love how it flakes. This recipe remotely reminds me of empanadas or beef patties but with chicken. I think I might be trying this. 🙂
    Diatta @ Femme Fitale Fit Club recently posted…The Deal With Meal Subscription BoxesMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Heaven. On. Earth. 🙂 Hope you enjoy if you get the chance to try!

• Lou

September 12, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Omg. I want this right now. It looks so easy, but naah I am not good with everything in the kitchen lol. But this looks like something I can eat everyday!
    Lou recently posted…To The Guy I Stopped Waiting ForMy Profile

September 13, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Haha it’s SUPER easy! The puff pastry just pulls ya in….it’s addicting!

• Esther

September 13, 2015 at 11:15 pm

We are thrilled you are here!!!
    (Please excuse the delay in commenting…Was away this weekend and did not have the patience to comment on blogs from my phone)
    Those look super fantastic! I have to admit that I have never actually used pastry puffs! I need to get on that ASAP!
    And yes to moderation! My FF recipe was a bit on the splurge side, but ya got to do it once in a while 🙂

I recently took my husband to the town I spent most of my growing up years in and I took him to my 2 favorite spots in town. A breakfast place and a creamery! Both were delightful and he loved them as much as I do!
    Esther recently posted…Foodie Friday: Savory Breakfast!My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Thanks so much, Esther! Haha commenting on blogs takes SO MUCH TIME. I’ve been there 🙂

• Pragati // Simple Medicine

September 14, 2015 at 8:23 am

I bet this would be super yummy with a veggie or tofu filling. Puff pastry anything is my favorite! I have noticed in a lot of different cultures, savory is the norm for breakfast. I love it! It’s better than kickstarting the day with loads of sugar.
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…Vegan Vietnamese Noodle Salad, Bun Bo XaoMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Mmmm I bet you’re right!! Perhaps that will be a next venture…

September 14, 2015 at 11:55 am

You had me at puff pastry 🙂
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…MCM Training Recap Week 10: Another great training week and a giveaway announcement!My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Hehe it’s so good 🙂

• Meghan

September 14, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Just catching up to this, and it looks AHHHmazing! I can tell that I would absolutely love to make and eat these. Where do you stop in Eden Center to pick some up? I was just there this weekend and got some banh mi but haven’t seen these before. Thanks for the recipe, and hope you had a great weekend!
    Meghan recently posted…Deconstructed Summer Salad with PeachesMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Hi, Meg!!
      I need to ask my Dad which place we go to…I’ll try and remember to tell you!

September 14, 2015 at 9:23 pm

These look AMAZING Jess! I have to try this recipe.
    Ivanna recently posted…Here’s the Skinny: All About Counting CaloriesMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Thanks, Ivanna!

• Arman @ thebigmansworld

September 15, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Not even kidding you, my saturday tradition with my Viet buddies would be these amazing (and cheap) roast pork rolls and then these puff pastries after- Sometimes we’d get the egg custard ones. Seriously, google Victoria Street + Viet food Melbourne lol!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…No Bake Pumpkin Spice Latte Bites (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Whaaaaat so cool!! I didn’t know Viet food was that popular in Australia!! So awesome 🙂