The “Hello to Fit” website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Weeknight cooking is my therapy. If the day wasn’t too hectic, I like to spend quiet time in the kitchen preparing a meal. Sometimes, Michael Buble accompanies the chopping and stirring. Since I hardly make homemade meals during the weekend, it gives me a chance to try new recipes and unwind from the day.
Depending on how much time I give myself, it’s either something quick and tasty (like these zucchini noodles with peanut sauce) or something…quick and tasty. Enter, Panko black bean burgers!
This week’s Foodie Friday theme is “burgers”, and it got my wheels churning. After seeing a recipe for black bean burgers in the cookbook, The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor, I was inspired. Without further ado, welcome to another Foodie Friday, hosted by Annmarie, Esther, Farrah, and myself!
In my mind, vegetarian patties would be boring and cause me to crave a juicy beef burger instead. I was very, very wrong. Green peppers, garlic, and cilantro take the dish up a notch. Cumin, Sriracha, and a mixture of oats and Panko bread crumbs bring the house down with bold, delicious flavors!
I chose to go the no-bun route, instead topping the burgers with homemade guacamole. And then serving the leftover guac with tortilla chips. Crunch, spice, guac. Mmm.
This recipe makes four burgers, so Ray and I had leftovers for the next night. I served them alongside a Ray-approved salad (bacon, red onion, tomato, eggs, and Romaine).
Inspired by Skinnytaste
- 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a medium bowl, use a potato masher or fork to mash beans until resembles a paste. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine green pepper, scallions, cilantro, and garlic. Chop until finely diced. Add in oats, panko bread crumbs, egg, cumin, salt, and Sriracha sauce. Add more panko crumbs if mixture is too wet.
- Form four patties and place onto a plate.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook patties for approximately 6-8 minutes on each side, or until golden crispy on each side.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 249 Calories from fat 106|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- What is your favorite type of burger: meat or bean?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
- Eat out or eat in on the weekends?
- Any plans for the weekend?