Vegetarian Panko black bean burgers

The “Hello to Fit” website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Weeknight cooking is my therapy. If the day wasn’t too hectic, I like to spend quiet time in the kitchen preparing a meal. Sometimes, Michael Buble accompanies the chopping and stirring. Since I hardly make homemade meals during the weekend, it gives me a chance to try new recipes and unwind from the day.

Depending on how much time I give myself, it’s either something quick and tasty (like these zucchini noodles with peanut sauce) or something…quick and tasty. Enter, Panko black bean burgers!

This week’s Foodie Friday theme is “burgers”, and it got my wheels churning. After seeing a recipe for black bean burgers in the cookbook, The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor, I was inspired. Without further ado, welcome to another Foodie Friday, hosted by Annmarie, Esther, Farrah, and myself!

Whip up these vegetarian panko black bean burgers for your next weeknight meal! @hellotofit | Hello to Fit

In my mind, vegetarian patties would be boring and cause me to crave a juicy beef burger instead. I was very, very wrong. Green peppers, garlic, and cilantro take the dish up a notch.  Cumin, Sriracha, and a mixture of oats and Panko bread crumbs bring the house down with bold, delicious flavors!

I chose to go the no-bun route, instead topping the burgers with homemade guacamole. And then serving the leftover guac with tortilla chips. Crunch, spice, guac. Mmm.

This recipe makes four burgers, so Ray and I had leftovers for the next night. I served them alongside a Ray-approved salad (bacon, red onion, tomato, eggs, and Romaine).

5.0 from 2 reviews
Vegetarian Panko black bean burgers

Inspired by Skinnytaste
Author:
Serves: 4
  • 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • ½ green bell pepper, roughly chopped
  • ½ cup chopped scallions
  • 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • ½ tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
  • ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • ½ cup - 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  1. In a medium bowl, use a potato masher or fork to mash beans until resembles a paste. Set aside.
  2. In a food processor, combine green pepper, scallions, cilantro, and garlic. Chop until finely diced. Add in oats, panko bread crumbs, egg, cumin, salt, and Sriracha sauce. Add more panko crumbs if mixture is too wet.
  3. Form four patties and place onto a plate.
  4. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook patties for approximately 6-8 minutes on each side, or until golden crispy on each side.

• What is your favorite type of burger: meat or bean?
  • Do you enjoy cooking?
  • Eat out or eat in on the weekends?
  • Any plans for the weekend?

• CARLA

September 18, 2015 at 5:44 am

OH!
    I think Im meat but I would also love love love these.
    and your love of the meal prep? I covet that. I wish I had that.
    CARLA recently posted…Those look like little kid pants (guest post).My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Meat burgers are my fave too, but these were fabulous. If I could share my love for meal prep with you, I would!

September 18, 2015 at 6:35 am

Seeing as I have some difficulty with beans, I’ll say that meat burgers are my favorite, specifically turkey burgers. I like beef fine, but I actually just love turkey burgers! If you treat them right, they are fabulous! I also love my beet burgers that I made earlier this year–they were incredible.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Savory Basil Sweet Potato Zucchini Muffin Top Recipe (Gluten Free)My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Beef burgers are my fave, too – but these were a nice and inexpensive alternative 🙂 Mmmm beet burgers!!

September 18, 2015 at 7:36 am

Love the flavors here! I think people have a misconception of veggie burgers being a hassle, but really all you do is throw everything in the processor, then form some patties and bake! Perfect dinner for sure! And endless possibilities!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 9/18/15My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Thanks, Rebecca! Yes, I was one of those people that had that misconception. So crazy how easy it is!

• Pragati // Simple Medicine

September 18, 2015 at 9:11 am

I’m soo late to the homemade veggie burger party! I’ve yet to try it. I need to. Seriously. What kind of vegetarian has never made her own veggie burgers?!! LOL
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…3 Ingredient PancakesMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Hehehe right?! :P. I like making them at home..there’s a lot more veggie content than starch 🙂

• Sam @ Pancakewarriors

September 18, 2015 at 11:26 am

Yay love a good veggie burger. I can’t wait to try this. Yes my kitchen time often involves lots of awesome music which I love. Glad you got to make something delish quickly.
    Sam @ Pancakewarriors recently posted…7 Days of SweatMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Thanks, Sam!

• Kat

September 18, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Oh man these sounds sooo good! I love a good veggie / bean burger but hate buying them. They are just so cheap to make at home! Definitely saving this recipe to try!
    Kat recently posted…Paleo Chunky Monkey BarsMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Thanks, Kat! They were delish, esp with the herbs.

• Lauren @ ihadabiglunch

September 18, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Nice I have all the ingredients! I love a good black bean burger, especially at restaurants. Pair it with some sweet potato fries? Yum! Weeknight cooking is absolutely my therapy too. I’m in the kitchen for one hour a day minimum…usually for breakfast but oftentimes for dinner too. I just love that time to myself. And Michael Buble doesn’t hurt either 🙂 Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…The daily decision to be happyMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Woohoo! don’t you love it when you have all the ingredients? Mmmm I should’ve made some sweet potato fries to go with these.
      I just read your post about breakfast time to yourself in the morning. I’m all for that!

• LIz

September 18, 2015 at 1:47 pm

YUM! These look great! I love the no bun and guac idea.. Adding guac to pretty much anything ALWAYS makes it taste better 🙂
    LIz recently posted…Friday Five 9.18My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Oh yes, for sure! 🙂

September 18, 2015 at 2:09 pm

YUM! What a great veggie burger- love the combo of panko and black beans and that you ditched the bun, I eat my burgers like that all the time! 🙂
    Annmarie recently posted…Foodie Friday: Paleo Sweet Potato SlidersMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Makes me feel better when I eat it without the bun 🙂 then I can leave more room for…dessert 😉

September 18, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I’ve always kept my homemade black bean burgers pretty simple, but I am loving the addition of cilantro you added in these! These look absolutely delicious, especially with some guacamole!
    Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted…{Friday Favorites} 9/18My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Oh I hope you try it with cilantro sometime! I like it better than without, now 🙂

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks

September 18, 2015 at 2:56 pm

These look delicious! I love all of the spices and herbs.
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Vegetable “Couscous” (paleo)My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Thanks, Dani! Previously (but not on the blog) I made black bean burgers with only a few spices. Adding the herbs definitely make this tastier!

• Esther

September 18, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Wow! Those look awesome! I need to get my tush in the kitchen and make some veggie burgers 🙂 I am a big fan of turkey burgers, and on the rare occasion, I have a beef one. I love cooking but am not a fan of my kitchen…hardly any space!
    I tend to cook most nights but do enjoy going out once in a while on the weekends 🙂
    Esther recently posted…Foodie Friday: Burgers!!My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Turkey burgers are awesome, too!! My favorite are beef, but I know we shouldn’t eat too much red meat 🙂

September 19, 2015 at 6:23 am

These look really good Jess! I make something similar to these and they taste so good. Hope you have a good weekend!
    Daisy @ Fit Wanderlust Runner recently posted…Things I Am Loving LatelyMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Thanks, Daisy! All the veggies and spices really take it up a notch.

• Cailee

September 19, 2015 at 9:41 am

Sounds like a great cookbook! …and I would have to say regular burgers for me because I’m gluten dairy and soy free… most burgers that are veggie have soy and gluten making it difficult for me to find one I can eat… BUT if i made it myself I could just modify it to fit my needs! Thanks for the lovely recipe!
    Cailee recently posted…Gluten Free, Vegan Muffins!My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Regular burgers are the ultimate meal, for sure. They’re still my favorite, but these are nice alternative! I wonder if you can make it with gluten free bread crumbs?

• She Rocks Fitness

September 19, 2015 at 3:23 pm

These look SO GOOD! And I love that they are filling…Always good to know, because I do not like having finished a meal and still being hungry…LOL. Hope you’re having a fabulous weekend! XOXO
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…New Balance Fall Catalog Is HEREMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Yes, quite filling! Haha seriously! XOXO

• Cayanne Marcus

September 20, 2015 at 2:15 am

Now I don’t know which to make first, the zoodles or the black bean burgers!!
    Cayanne Marcus recently posted…Why I Took a Crack at the Coconut Water Craze (And Why I’m Sticking With It)My Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Hehe they’re both very yummy! Hope you enjoy 🙂

• Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner

September 20, 2015 at 2:39 pm

We are certainly on the same page this week as I have a very similar recipe coming out tomorrow. I love black beans in a burger and it is so easy to make your own isn’t it?!
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Popsugar Must Have SeptemberMy Profile

September 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Great minds think alike ;). OMG so easy..I never realized!

• lindsay

September 20, 2015 at 6:38 pm

beautiful balance of flavors and nourishment! and did i see that you wrote “crunch” in there? Yes, so calling my name
    lindsay recently posted…22 Amazing Gluten Free Curry Recipes to Keep you Healthy!My Profile

• Linz @ Itz Linz

September 20, 2015 at 10:54 pm

i LOVE black bean burgers!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Cherokee Street in St. LouisMy Profile

September 28, 2015 at 11:27 am

Aren’t they delicious? 🙂

September 21, 2015 at 8:11 am

Oh these sound delicious Jess! I am always up for a good veggie burger recipe! And these sound like they’d be great for leftover lunches with some salad! PINNING. <3
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Banana Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

September 28, 2015 at 11:26 am

OH yes – I think for leftovers we had it over salad, along with other toppings (like bacon) 🙂

September 21, 2015 at 9:15 am

Yum! This looks like a tasty one! I really like black bean burgers.
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…A-Z SurveyMy Profile

September 28, 2015 at 11:26 am

I’m starting to like them more and more, especially after making these!

September 21, 2015 at 8:21 pm

I adore SkinnyTaste! <3! I love black bean burgers, but haven't ever tried making em' on my own–I'm gonna need to try this out! :D!

September 28, 2015 at 11:26 am

I love her recipes – very doable and delicious.

September 22, 2015 at 1:27 am

Cooking to Michael Buble is my favorite! I just did it yesterday 🙂 The kitchen is also one of my favorite places to relax!
    Lauren | Just a Pinch recently posted…Back to school!My Profile

September 28, 2015 at 11:26 am

Isn’t his voice so dreamy?

• Carly @ FitLiving blog

September 24, 2015 at 7:03 am

YUM! I love vegetarian burger patties, but have yet to find one that I’ve loved by making them at home. I will have to try these! We have a BurgerFi here which offers a burger that has one veggie and one beef patty and I get it every time… it’s the best of both worlds!
    Carly @ FitLiving blog recently posted…My Journey to Living a Paleo Lifestyle: Everyday GraceMy Profile

September 28, 2015 at 11:16 am

Mmm BurgerFi sounds delish! I love me some beef patties, but these veggie ones were a great addition to the recipe book.