Chocolate peanut butter coconut bars

What’s your favorite combination of foods and/or flavors? The possibilities are endless: fruit and cheese, lemon and blueberry, sea salt and caramel, ketchup and anything…

One duo that gets me every time is chocolate peanut butter. Reese’s Cups, am I right? But that’s when I have a Treat Yo Self day (any Parks and Rec fans out there?).

Rather than having two cups of that Hershey’s chocolate delight more often than I’d like to admit, I decided to put together a less-processed treat. Say “hello” to my little friend:Treat yourself with these chocolate peanut butter coconut bars! @hellotofit | Hello to FitToday’s Foodie Friday theme is “Choctober”, I was inspired to create a “better” (not necessarily “healthier”, but I guess you could argue that) chocolate bar – one that had less added sugar than a regular, store-bought bar.

One of Ray’s and my post-dinner treats (besides this banana “ice cream”) is a piece – okay, two – of dark chocolate from Trader Joe’s. Why not step up the chocolate game and add in a couple other ingredients? Bonus: staying away from insane amounts of added sugar by using natural peanut butter and unsweetened shredded coconut.

Similar to last week’s recipe for slow cooker apple butter, this one is crazy-easy. With just three ingredients and a little time to chill, you’ve got yourself a portable treat that has less sugar than a regular candy bar.

My favorite part, besides the peanut butter? Toasted coconut: a nuttier, more fragrant addition. Stirred in a pan over heat, these unsweetened coconut pieces will bring your chocolate bar to life!

Chocolate peanut butter coconut bars

Serves 10     adjust servings

• 1, 10-oz package semi-sweet chocolate chunks
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter, or other nut butter

1. Toast shredded coconut in a small pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until coconut is toasted a slightly golden yellow color and smells fragrant. Don’t walk away – it will toast quickly once heated through!
  2. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. In a double boiler, melt semi-sweet chocolate chunks over low heat. Stir frequently with a spatula until smooth and no lumps remain.
  4. While chocolate is melting, heat peanut butter in microwave until slightly melted and smooth.
  5. In a square baking pan lined with parchment paper, pour melted chocolate and spread evenly with a knife. Carefully spoon a little bit of peanut butter at a time, swirling gently with knife.
  6. Sprinkle coconut generously over chocolate and peanut butter mixture.
  7. Place pan in refrigerator until hardened, or for at least 1-2 hours.
  8. Cut or break apart as desired. Bars can be stored in a container in the fridge.

foodiefriday

• Tell me your favorite food/flavor combo…
  • Do you enjoy a post-dinner “treat” (or TREAT)?
  • Chocolate candy bars at room temperature or chilled?
  • What are you up to this weekend?

• Becky @ Olives n Wine

October 9, 2015 at 5:53 am

Girl, these bars are after my heart… and my tastebuds 😉 I’m a chocolate-PB fanatic LOL! What size of pan did you use to make these? 8×8? These are happening in my life ASAP!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Friday FavsMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Hehe if only I could send some your way!! YES. I used an 8×8 pan. Make them!!

October 9, 2015 at 6:50 am

Mmm so good! Toasted coconut is the best way to have it for optimal flavor! Perfect with some bitter chocolate and PB 😉
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 10/9/15My Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:28 pm

YES!! It added a nice lil texture, too 🙂

October 9, 2015 at 7:30 am

I love chocolate bark/ bar things. OMG yum. DYING OVER HERE
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Five Ways to Commemorate Your Race (Giveaway)My Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Haha I didn’t know whether to call them bark or bars. Whats the difference?!

• Kimberly G

October 9, 2015 at 8:30 am

I am not a huge chocolate lover but I love that this recipe incorporates coconut 🙂
    Kimberly G recently posted…#FrugalFridays – Running in the DarkMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Hey, Kimberly! Yes, it was nice to have a couple of other flavors to balance out the chocolate 🙂

• Mike@TheIronYou

October 9, 2015 at 9:06 am

Goodness, those bars looks amazing. I must try it. I like the garnishment of shredded coconut: killer!
    Mike@TheIronYou recently posted…Easy Pumpkin MasalaMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Thanks, Mike!!

October 9, 2015 at 11:11 am

Saw these on Instagram and knew I had to get the recipe! They look so good.
    Daisy @ Fit Wanderlust Runner recently posted…Why You Shouldn’t Date A RunnerMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Hope you get to try them out, Daisy! They were a hit.

• Susan

October 9, 2015 at 11:19 am

All of that goodness with only 3 ingredients! Be still my heart. Love these!
    Susan recently posted…Parmesan Street TacosMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Hehe. They were the perfect balance between sweet, smooth, and crunchy.

• Sarah

October 9, 2015 at 11:19 am

OMG you had me at chocolate peanut butter, and toasted coconut I can only imagine…. I can’t wait to try these!
    Sarah recently posted…Easy As Apple Pie Cherry Muesli BakeMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Chill them in the fridge and they’re delish, too!!

October 9, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Seriously Jess, this is FAN-FREAKIN- TASTIC!! I bet these disappear quickly. I love how simple they are, but you can totally tell people “Yeah I made candy” and they will be super impressed. I know I would!! Thanks for sharing!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…6 Ways to Work Your Core Without CrunchesMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Oh yes. And they were delish when chilled in the fridge, too! Hope you’re enjoying your weekend!

• Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner

October 9, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Chocolate and pnb is the best combo for sure! I saw those on IG and thought they looked yummmy
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…How To Host A Soup ClubMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Oh yaaaaa

• Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut

October 9, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Yummmm. I want one right now!! Chocolate all day.
    Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted…Fire-Roasted Tomato Hummus Recipe with BaconMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:21 pm

All day errday? 🙂

October 9, 2015 at 6:29 pm

DROOOLING right now. And your photos are lovely! Great job using your new camera. Toasted coconut is my absolute favorite. I’m expecially fond of coconut bubble tea these days 🙂
    Lauren | Just a Pinch recently posted…Just a Pinch Of | 10.08.15 {It’s back!}My Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Hi!! Thanks! It’s fun so far – I want to learn more!! Mmm coconut bubble tea sounds so refreshing.

• WorthyStyle

October 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Jess these sound so yummy! Absolutely delish – cannot wait to try them myself.
    WorthyStyle recently posted…Local Love: Scents of Serenity organic spaMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Thanks, Whitney!! They’re sooo good 🙂

October 11, 2015 at 11:11 am

I may or may not have been salivating when I saw this on instagram. It looks so good! <3!!!
    Farrah recently posted…Chocolate Hemp Cherry-Berry SmoothieMy Profile

October 11, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Bahahah sorry :P. It was delish!!

October 12, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Stop it with your bad self. These look AMAZING!!!
    Annmarie recently posted…Meatless Monday: Coconut Creamed Spinach {Vegan, Gluten Free, Paleo}My Profile

October 19, 2015 at 9:10 am

Bahahah oh they’re to die for!

October 12, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Yum, this looks awesome! I have to have my TJ’s dark chocolate daily as well 🙂
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…MCM Training Recap–Week 14My Profile

October 19, 2015 at 8:28 am

It’s so good, right?! Not a lot of sugar and it hits the spot for me.

October 12, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Choctober?! OMG yes please!!!! These look sooo so so so so so (a million more so’s) amazing!!! I love pb and chocolate. I also love chocolate and mint. But chocolate and raspberries are good too. Chocolate and burned marshmallow. Basically chocolate anything is my favorite combo 😉
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Apple, Sweet Potato, Brussels Breakfast HashMy Profile

October 19, 2015 at 8:27 am

mmm I love chocolate/mint. But yes, you are right – all of those combos are tasty!