Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets

Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets are fragrant, healthy, and easy to prepare! Enjoy them as a side dish for weeknight dinners.

Roasted broccoli may be my cooking method of choice for these delicious little green trees! As a kid, I remember enjoying them as a part of Asian style stir fry dishes. In college – when I was meh at cooking – I’d steam them and season with just salt and pepper. Times have changed, my friends! Let’s just say I’ve learned more about incorporating various textures, flavors, and seasonings…

It’s amusing to look back at the times when we were new at experimenting in the kitchen. I remember the one time I tried to make a sautéed Cajun shrimp dish. It was years ago, in my first apartment off-campus in undergrad. The seasonings were meant to be used sparingly, but I got a LITTLE overzealous. Long story short, the shrimp were SO salty, it was inedible. Like, each bite was so salty it burned a little in our mouths. It was a while before I was ready to try cooking another shrimp recipe.

Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets | Hello to Fit

Texture and Flavor

After years of failing and succeeding in the kitchen, now I feel like I (mostly) have a knack for it. Two words that have helped me improve my skillz? Texture and flavor. It sounds obvious, but think about the perfect dish. Various textures and well-balanced flavors will almost certainly be incorporated into the food, right?

Hot, sizzling slices of garlic and onion are the most flavorful ways to start any dish, and I wanted to incorporate them into this awesome veggie recipe. Kosher salt and freshly grated pepper add a necessary touch for even MORE flavor, and our trusty oven does the rest.

There’s something wonderful about roasted broccoli, isn’t there? Slightly crispy outside, perfectly seasoned all around. Tossing these cruciferous veggies in olive oil allow for the crispy edges, and don’t get me started on how delicious roasted beets are. Okay…you can get me started :-P.

Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets | Hello to Fit

One of the most satisfying things about roasting beets is when you actually get to eat them: tender, flavorful, and sweet! I have a feeling you’ll also love getting bites of crispy garlic and roasted onion…yum.

If you’re looking for a way to broaden your roasting horizons, grab a couple heads of broccoli, a few beets, and get to it. The various textures of roasted veggies (crispy-ish outside, tender inside) makes for a satisfying meal, whether you enjoy it as-is or alongside a main entrée for lunch or dinner!

Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets | Hello to Fit

Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets

Preparation 2017-05-23T00:00:00+00:00 Cook Time 2017-05-23T00:00:00+00:00
Serves serves 4 people     adjust servings

Fragrant roasted garlic combined with fresh broccoli and beets will have you going back for seconds! This dish is great as a side dish to go along with your weeknight dinners.

• 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
  • 2-3 large beets, washed, peeled, and diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
  • Up to 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly grated pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss broccoli, beets, onions, and garlic in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly in one layer on baking sheet.
  3. Roast for approximately 40 minutes, or until broccoli is adequately browned and beets are soft when pierced with a knife , flipping once.
  4. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately.

Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets

From at

Yield: serves 4 people

You'll Need...

• 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
  • 2-3 large beets, washed, peeled, and diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
  • Up to 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly grated pepper

Directions

4. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately.

Pin for later!

• What’s your favorite veggie to roast?
  • Any plans for the weekend?

You may also like

Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Beets

Preparation 2017-05-23T00:00:00+00:00 Cook Time 2017-05-23T00:00:00+00:00
Serves serves 4 people     adjust servings

• 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
  • 2-3 large beets, washed, peeled, and diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
  • Up to 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly grated pepper

4. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately.

November 13, 2015 at 8:01 am

A) did someone say beets 😀
    B) FAVORITE PERSON EVER for using the Boom, Roasted line!!!!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Race Days, Dessert Tea, and Healthy Holidays (Friday Favorites)My Profile

1. Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut

November 13, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I fully agree with the boom, roasted hahaha.
      Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted…Pumpkin Protein Pancakes with Peanut Butter Pumpkin SyrupMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Hahahah

November 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

LOOOOOOVEEEEEE YAAAA

• Arielle

November 13, 2015 at 8:18 am

Beets, broccoli and garlic! My favorite things. Will def be trying this soon!

November 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

So flavorful 🙂

• Gretchen | Gretchruns

November 13, 2015 at 9:13 am

This looks delicious!!! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Top Five Friday #33My Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

My pleasure, Gretchen!!

• Teri @ Reinventitude

November 13, 2015 at 9:28 am

Wow! What a great use for leftovers! I’m always nervous about using beets… we just don’t do them in our family, but I know they are really good for you. I will have to stretch out of our comfort zone and give this a try. Garlic makes everything scrumptious 🙂 Thanks!
    Teri @ Reinventitude recently posted…The Ultimate ‘Empty The Fridge’ LasagnaMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

You are so right – garlic makes ’em delish! Perhaps you could just buy a few beets and try in small quantities?

November 13, 2015 at 9:44 am

YAY BEETS!! I just love the color of them 😀 And roasting them with broccoli?! Freaking genius. Can’t wait to try this out. Have a fantabulous weekend, Jess!
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Friday Link Lovin’ [#4]My Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Haha hope you get to try them!

• Karla @SmallTownRambler

November 13, 2015 at 9:59 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe…looks so delicious and healthy! I am several days in going without sugars/gluten, so I am on the hunt for recipes just like this!
    Karla @SmallTownRambler recently posted…Friday Features: Black and Gold DecorMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Wow, power to ya for going without gluten and sugars! The beets have a slightly sweet taste, which may satisfy a craving 😉

• Meghan

November 13, 2015 at 10:03 am

Gorgeous photos, Jess! The purple in the beets is so pretty and this combo looks great. I have a problem where I tend to not like beets if I make them at home (so weird, but I swear I usually only like them out at restaurants!), but this is inspiring me to give it another shot. Hope you have a great weekend and enjoy the cooler temps. 🙂
    Meghan recently posted…Fall Leaves and a Hello!My Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Thanks so much, Meg! Haha I do love ordering beets at restaurants.

• Kat

November 13, 2015 at 10:04 am

I’ll be real with you here…Im not a huge beet fan. All the times I’ve had it [unless its juiced, then its amazing!] it kind of tastes like dirt! Which really upsets me, because beets are so incredibly good for you! Maybe I’m doing something wrong??
    Kat recently posted…The “OMG I’m Gunna Die” WorkoutMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Haha I think I get the dirt taste every now and then with beets, but not when I roast them!

• Mike@TheIronYou

November 13, 2015 at 10:12 am

I’m not a huge fan of beets but yours sure look delish. I love that you added red pepper flakes, a bit of heat is always OK!

Have a great weekend my friend!
    Mike@TheIronYou recently posted…Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna with Cauliflower NoodlesMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Ah, thanks, Mike!! I really liked the way the onions and garlic took it up a notch.

• Danielle @ tiny-trots

November 13, 2015 at 10:55 am

I’ve really been getting into roasted vegetables, especially cauliflower! I love the slight crispiness they take on. This recipe sounds delicious, and I love its simplicity.

November 18, 2015 at 6:22 pm

The texture makes it so much more delicious!

November 13, 2015 at 11:07 am

Beets are my life! But I love them raw as my #1 way to eat them 😉
    Love broccoli roasted and really…anything roasted will never be bad 😉
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 11/13/15My Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:21 pm

So, this may sound silly but I didn’t know you could eat beets raw! I guess it makes sense b/c you can juice them 😛

• Pragati // Simple Medicine

November 13, 2015 at 11:30 am

Roasted beets are my favorite! I haven’t had them in a while. Thanks for sharing!
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…The Secret to a Good SweatMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:21 pm

My pleasure!!

• Liz @The Clean Eating Couple

November 13, 2015 at 11:34 am

Hmm.. I’m not the biggest beet fan but I think that might be because I’ve never cooked them like this!! Garlic+ broccoli are two of my favs.. so I’m going to give this a try 🙂
    Liz @The Clean Eating Couple recently posted…Gym Bag Essentials to Keep You Healthy During Cold & Flu SeasonMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Haha, beets or no beets, the onions and garlic really heighten the roasting experience!

• Kellen

November 13, 2015 at 11:53 am

This looks delicious, festive, and healthy! I’ve never tried roasting beets but I love them in my juice. I’ll have to give this one a try next week!
    Kellen recently posted…30 Minute At Home WorkoutMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:20 pm

And I’ve never had them in juice 🙂 looks like we need to swap! Haha.

• Julie @ Making Mindfulness

November 13, 2015 at 11:53 am

This is so delicious looking! I am thrilled at finding this combination–thank you.
    Julie @ Making Mindfulness recently posted…What We Can Learn From Fraggle RockMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Thanks, Julie! Hope you enjoy 🙂

• Sarah Grace

November 13, 2015 at 12:54 pm

ohhh do I love the smell of thing roasting in the oven <3 And I must say, just the smell of cooking onions alone usually smell so good haha! But I do love my beets when cooked similar to thing, can't say I like them out of a can 😛 and SAME about temps..being in northern florida, today is the first day that is actually "kinda chilly". I'm sure virginia weather is actually cold for this florida girl 🙂

xo,
    sarah grace
    Sarah Grace recently posted…Thoughts on #StarbucksRedCup and #MerryChristmasStarbucks from a Christian PerspectiveMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:20 pm

So so good 🙂 it fills the whole house!!

November 13, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Yummmm – I love roasted broccoli and beets! Beets taste so sweet when roasted – best way to prepare them!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Roasted Winter Vegetable Salad with Goat Cheese and PepitasMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:19 pm

So delicious indeed 🙂 thanks, Laura!

November 13, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Two of my FAVORITE vegetables with my FAVORITE flavor pops. YUM YUM!
    Brittany recently posted…All Hallows’ DisneyMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:19 pm

woohoo!!! How’d I know??

• Cayanne Marcus

November 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Oh my goodness those beets are so pretty! And I love anything with garlic…unfortunately I can’t eat broccoli because cruciferous veggies upset my stomach (RIP fave cauliflower pizza) but I’m going to make this with all beets!! Thanks 🙂
    Cayanne Marcus recently posted…I bought SHAPE magazine for the first time – Tips I’m investing in and “tricks” I’m not buyingMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Thanks, Cayanne! Aw man, well I’m sure this can be done with any veggies 🙂

• rachel @ athleticavocado

November 13, 2015 at 1:57 pm

nice and simple, just the way i like my veggies 🙂
    rachel @ athleticavocado recently posted…Gingerbread Cheesecake Baked AppleMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Oh yaaaas

November 13, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Gorgeous! I love beets and broccoli- can’t wait to give this a try!
    Annmarie recently posted…Foodie Friday: Honey & Curry Roasted Harvest VeggiesMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm

I’m so happy when I share a recipe you can make/eat 🙂

• Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner

November 13, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Roasted broccoli and beets are 2 of my faves! Simple and delish. Hope you will add this to next week’s Meatless Monday too
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Hungry Root-A New Twist On VeggiesMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Ah, how did I know? 😉

• Alexandra @ Made to Glow

November 13, 2015 at 3:22 pm

For some reason I’ve gotten out of the habits of buying beets, but this has totally inspired me to fix that 🙂 Your pictures are gorgeous and the color of the beets is beautiful!
    Alexandra @ Made to Glow recently posted…5-Minute Fall Trail Mix (Paleo, Vegan)My Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Thanks, Alexandra!! I love the purple color.

November 13, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Beet lover UNITE! I love roasted broccoli and beets but I never combine them. DUH! Thanks for bringing me to my senses.
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Whole30 Thanksgiving Side DishesMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Hehe that’s what I’m here for 😉

• She Rocks Fitness

November 14, 2015 at 7:33 am

I went to William and Mary and loved every second of it! My favorite vegetable to roast as of lately is cauliflower! I used to roast beets all the time in Houston. They’re expensive on Nantucket…HAHA!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Switch Up Your Routine With A Skulpt Fitness TrackerMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:16 pm

So close to me here in Cville!!

• Crystan Blanco @ Fancy Frugal Fit

November 14, 2015 at 9:08 am

Roasted broccoli is my go-to and it’s a veggie I can get Mike to get eat. Sadly, I don’t like beets, BUT I never thought of adding onions and garlic to the mix (two flavors I LOVE) so I will be trying this soon! Thanks for sharing!
    Crystan Blanco @ Fancy Frugal Fit recently posted…25 ThingsMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Haha Mike and Ray are similar there 🙂
      I bet you’d love adding the garlic and onions to the broccoli!

November 14, 2015 at 11:35 pm

I’ve never actually had beets + broccoli together in the same dish, but yummy! 😀 This looks super tasty, and I’m definitely loving all the colors in the dish!
    Farrah recently posted…Recipe ReDux: Chocolate Blood Orange ChaiMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:15 pm

It’s a weird combo, but somehow it worked!

November 14, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Oh my gosh, these look INCREDIBLE!!
    Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted…{Friday Favorites} 11/13My Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Thanks, Brie!!

• Beth

November 15, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Love this recipe! So fun and easy when you just have to toss everything in the oven – so low maintenance! I think my favorite vegetable to roast are Brussels Sprouts – mmmm drooling just thinking about them. But I sure do love a beet every once in a while!

November 18, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Low maintenance is the way to go, sometimes! I need to roast some Sprouts, pronto 🙂

• Esther

November 15, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Those look booming good! I have never really thought to roast beets when I do my roasted veggies!
    They are so pretty and I can imagine they tasted awesome! 🙂
    Esther recently posted…Foodie Friday: Veggie & chicken pad thaiMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Haha it was so good! And easier than I thought it was going to be.
      Jess recently posted…4 Ways to Have a Balanced ThanksgivingMy Profile

November 17, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Oh yum! I have actually never cooked with beets at home! I do love roasted veggies of any kind, so I will have to try this out!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…The cookbook every runner should have: Meals on the Run book reviewMy Profile

November 18, 2015 at 6:05 pm

It was my first time, and way easier than I thought it was going to be!

January 20, 2017 at 10:43 am

Simple and delicious! One of my favorite combos all year around
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Favorite Winter Fitness & Fun ActivitiesMy Profile

February 14, 2017 at 12:09 pm

That’s the way to go sometimes, right? Thanks, Deborah!