3 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Personal Trainer

When you see the words “personal trainer”, what do you think of? Maybe your initial thoughts are Jillian Michaels, boot camp, crazy workouts. Or perhaps they’re more along the lines of get me in shape, strict, scared. Whatever your opinions may be about personal training, it’s important to know that there can be benefits to hiring someone in order to better your health and fitness.

I’m coming up on my fourth year of being a personal trainer, and it’s amazing how much I’ve learned over the years. Starting out, I knew it wasn’t going to be a cake-walk, but it’s been pretty eye-opening to see how much MORE training encompasses. It’s not just putting people through workouts and then sending them on their way (read more personal training myths here). I’ve learned that building a relationship with my clients and getting to KNOW them helps me create better workouts. I’m learning that I enjoy being more than just 30-minutes or an hour of their day. Frequent communication helps ME help THEM foster a long-term relationship with their health and fitness. #allthehappyfeelings

Friends and trainers who sweat together…

3 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Personal Trainer

Before we dig into the nitty gritty of why I think you could benefit from working with a trainer, remember that I am one out of MANY. My opinions may not reflect thoughts of other trainers out there. However, in my experience, this is why people hire me. Or learn why they keep me.

Accountability

This is probably the biggest reason why people hire or stick with a trainer. Many of us already have a general idea that we need to be active, but gosh is it hard to do that unless we have a HUMAN BEING to meet. Not virtually. In the flesh! Think back to the last time you met up with a friend for a workout – you were less likely to flake, right? Same idea.

With a trainer, even though you may know what kind of workouts you need, the trainer will be there to make sure you follow through. I don’t have research to share regarding the likelihood of following through with something when we have a real person to meet, but I’d be curious to read studies if you have any!

Direction

We may know that we need to workout, and we may have a handful of exercises in our back pocket…but do we know how to safely and effectively use them? A trainer can compile a workout that directly targets your needs, whether you’re training for a race, recently discharged from physical therapy, or just need a good butt-whooping! Personal trainers will not only provide direction, but almost always help with basic form (one of my fitness commandments).

No studies to back this next statement, but I think it’s safe to say that at least a third of the people on the fitness floor are performing their exercises incorrectly. Not only is this an eye-sore, but it can pave the way for near-future (or future) injury. A personal trainer can keep a close eye on your form, in order to help you get the MOST out of your workout.

Push through plateaus

Raise your hand if you’ve ever kept resistance weights the same for more than four weeks! I’ve done it too. Unless there is injury or other health issues involved, we can call that a plateau. Yes, keeping the weight the same can help with maintenance, but that’s not usually what we’re looking for.

Making progress and getting stronger and healthier requires us to push PAST our limits (safely), and to get out of our comfort zones (safely). That’s where your personal trainer comes in. We are there to help you remember that you’re stronger than you think!

You won’t know until you try…

When I first started working as a personal trainer, it was hard for me to make the sale. One of the reasons was because I had no experience as a CLIENT, and didn’t know the true value of the service. My co-worker and mentor at the time took a small group of us through a workout each week, and man, did I learn a lot. I discovered that I didn’t work NEARLY as hard as when someone else was watching me; I’m stronger than I think (especially with a spotter nearby); quality personal training is something that is worth every penny if you are committed to it.

If one of your goals this month is to improve your fitness and wellness, I highly recommend trying the whole personal trainer thing out. Maybe you’ll like it, but maybe you won’t, and that’s OKAY. I may be biased, but seeing people change their health, get stronger, and be happier individuals is what makes me so happy to talk about PT!

Trainers are ready to help you dream, believe, do, and repeat!

Happy new year! To celebrate 2016, I’m sending out a FREE printable to e-mail subscribers. The printable outlines major muscle groups to target during a workout. Sign up here!

Let’s keep the conversation going!

• Have you ever worked with a trainer? Thoughts?
  • Are you more likely to get something done if someone is there with you?
  • What kind of plateaus have you worked through?
  • How did you celebrate New Year’s Eve?

January 5, 2016 at 6:59 am

I think personal trainers are great because they teach you so much. I mean there are still a bunch of stuff I wasn’t even tapping on at my old gym. Some of those machines are scary to do by yourself for the first time!
    Daisy @ Fit Wanderlust Runner recently posted…365 Days of GratitudeMy Profile

January 5, 2016 at 7:10 am

Ah yea! I feel like those are the top reasons! Some people just need that push and support that they may not have all by themselves!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Peanut Butter Cup Protein SmoothieMy Profile

January 5, 2016 at 7:15 am

I have a similar post coming up about hiring a running coach! I don’t think people realize just how much we become a part of their lives. Hello, my personal trainer from back in the day was invited to my wedding, and my mom was invited to her (the trainer’s) wedding. Life long relationships, people!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Christmas Gifts for a Running Coach aka Running BooksMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Haha that’s AWESOME!! There really are life-long relationships built. Part of the reason why I love it!

• Bri

January 5, 2016 at 7:40 am

Agreed! I’d also add safety in there, too — so many ways to hurt yourself by not lifting properly/doing too much!
    Bri recently posted…Why you shouldn’t monetize your blog (or other passion projects)My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:19 pm

YES!! Great point, Bri 🙂

• Gretchen | Gretchruns

January 5, 2016 at 8:12 am

I have never worked with a trainer, but with my gym membership we get one free 1-on-1 session with a personal trainer. I really should take them up on that!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Guest Post : Running Whole 30My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Oh I hope you get to take advantage of that!!

January 5, 2016 at 9:09 am

Great post Jess! There is so much value in getting some HELP! It’s so easy to get in a rut– I know I do from time to time.
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Healthy Smoothies Delivered to Your Door With Green BlenderMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Oh yes!! We all get into ruts, and trainers can help us out of them!

• Jen

January 5, 2016 at 9:23 am

I’m so with you on all these points! I love being able to provide direction and push someone beyond what they think they can do!
    Jen recently posted…#ITBF: LEARN & BURN BACK TO BASICSMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Thanks, Jen!! Glad we are on the same page 😉

January 5, 2016 at 9:36 am

I do think working with a trainer would be fun! If only you lived closer. 😉
    Brittany recently posted…Early Morning ConfessionsMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Hehe we’d have a blast!! The workouts would be followed by coffee and cupcakes, right? 😛

• Jen @ Pretty Little Grub

January 5, 2016 at 9:46 am

If I could afford a personal trainer all the time, I would definitely have one. I love the accountability and having someone there to push me to work a little harder every time.
    Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted…Why I Hired A Running Coach & 2016 Goal Marathon RevealMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:17 pm

It’s awesome, right?! I notice that I work a lot harder when someone is watching me.

• Kat

January 5, 2016 at 11:17 am

I think personal trainers definietly have their place – seeing as how I want to become one! 😉
    I’ve never had one, but I do go to a group fitness hitt class and the workouts this trainer comes up with are INCREDIBLE! Her AMRAPs always leave me in a puddle of sweat on the floor and she incorporates moves [candle stick jumps?] that I’ve never heard of before. It’s a great way to leanr more personally, as well as get pushed to the brink!
    Kat recently posted…Persimmon Bread [Vegan & Gluten-Free]My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Haha that HIIT class sounds INSANE! …Insanely awesome.

• Les @ The Balanced Berry

January 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I couldn’t agree with this post more! Especially the communication + relationship-building piece. While I haven’t trained any clients in a long time, I am still really close with my former clients and speak with them frequently because of the relationship we built. It is so important to build that trust!
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…5 Healthy Morning Habits to Start Your Day on the Right FootMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Thanks, Les! I love that you are still close to your former clients. Most of them really do become friends!

January 5, 2016 at 2:14 pm

The direction personal trainers (and other fitness professionals such as running coaches) provide is invaluable. I also think that a personal trainer is so important for helping athletes progress safely – you have such an eye for good form and that keeps people healthy and active!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Tempo Runs: One Workout All Runners NeedMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:15 pm

My thoughts exactly, Laura! We get to look at things from an outside perspective and help people hone in 🙂

January 5, 2016 at 2:31 pm

This could not be more on point! I love the accountability and that extra push! It’s also very difficult to see when you have been doing the same thing over and over why you might not be getting results where a trainer would be able to suggest some alternative exercises or routine!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Single Serve Chocolate Peanut Butter BrowniesMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Yes, definitely 🙂 my old boss said that trainers are like MIRRORS for people. We get to reflect back what you need to see for yourself, haha.

• Rachel

January 5, 2016 at 3:25 pm

I wish I could afford it!! I love this post because it’s so true. Even when I workout with friends I am able to push myself so much harder! It’s also really important I think for aspiring personal trainers to experience the other side of it. As a group fitness instructor, one of my favorite things to do is take other instructors classes – I always leave with so many ideas!

January 10, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Yes! I loved to take other people’s group ex classes when I taught more. I got a lot of new ideas 🙂

January 5, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Definitely great reasons! Now I just need more people to hire me haha. Trainers are awesome!
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…My Anti-Goals List for 2016My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Hahah everyone would be LUCKY to work with you, Erin!! I would!!

• Beth @ Sublimely Fit

January 5, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I wholeheartedly agree about needing accountability, especially when you start a new exercise regime. Knowing that someone is waiting for you to show up to the gym is really motivating. And, it’s so helpful to have someone watching you for form to make sure you don’t hurt yourself. I think it’s great that a lot of trainers offer rates for small groups, too, for people who can’t afford one-on-one sessions. Then there’s no excuse! 🙂

January 10, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Oh for sure 🙂 it is rare that we would let down someone we’re about to meet in person 🙂 and YES there is always an option, for people with all sorts of budgets. Thanks for the feedback, Beth!!

January 6, 2016 at 4:02 am

All great reasons! Also, to make best use of limited time.

January 10, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Yes definitely, Jill!!

• CARLA

January 6, 2016 at 5:38 am

for me it was the DIRECTION.
    I wasnt gonna get “there” if I had no idea WHERE there was!
    CARLA recently posted…3 feelings I desire for 2016.My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:07 pm

YES!! The guy I worked with provided extra direction, and it was awesome.

January 6, 2016 at 9:45 am

Love all of this. Its unfortunate some people see personal training as too expensive, because it can be SO beneficial and you’ll learn so much more if you’re new to working out in general. I help people at work and some in the gym (as a member) with ideas, but have yet to put my cert to use! (Full-time job, plus blog, plus life, plus trying to figure out if I want to be in a gym or not…) But my goal for this month is to reach out to people and get my first in-home client!
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Greek Spaghetti Squash BowlsMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Yes, my thoughts exactly. It CAN be seen as a luxury, and it has for the duration that PT has been around, but there are DEF ways to make it work for all budgets.
      Yayyy let us know when you get your first in-home client!!

• Liz @ THe Clean Eating Couple

January 6, 2016 at 11:42 am

Yes to all of these! I have a trainer who writes up a personal workout plan and adjusts my macros. He isn’t at the gym with me, but we meet every week to take measurements and it has seriously made all the difference!! Love having someone to help me reach my goals. If you were in CT I’d hire you.. so then I could learn your awesome yoga skills too 😉
    Liz @ THe Clean Eating Couple recently posted…30 Healthy Holiday Desserts You Need to TryMy Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:05 pm

That’s awesome, Liz 🙂 sounds like he is holding you accountable.
      Aww thanks!! We’d have so much fun, working together 😉

• Jenn – a traveling Wife

January 6, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Yes to all of this! I’m not going to lie, I ALWAYS showed up for my sessions because they were already paid for. It would be like flushing money down the toilet if I just didn’t show up.
    Jenn – a traveling Wife recently posted…Grain-free Granola [Whole30 and Paleo Friendly]My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Right!! Getting your money’s worth!

January 7, 2016 at 5:31 am

All great reasons! I was kinda spoiled back in the day in having my built-in personal trainer (*cough* back-then-significant-other *cough*). Twas nice, but ever since all the extra school I’ve been doing, I’ve kinda just been my own trainer! :O
    Farrah recently posted…#SweatPinkLove at Twirly Girls!My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Hahaha I remember you saying that!!

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

January 8, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Love this!! I actually recently signed up with a personal trainer at my work gym and I LOVE it! It gets me out of my rut, keeps me challenged, and most of all MOTIVATES me!!! (Of course, if I was in Charlottesville, I’d totally want to be your client, haha.)
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie (No Protein Powder Required)My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 8:43 pm

YAY, LIZ!! I’m so happy to hear that you are working with a trainer! Would love to hear how you like it 🙂
      Hahah we’d have such a good time working out together 😉

• Beverley @ sweaty&fit

January 8, 2016 at 3:17 pm

i always thought i never really needed a trainer, but after working out a couple times with my friend (who has been a trainer for ages), I realized that i never pushed myself as hard as i could! i would be deadlifting 95 lbs, but he showed me that i could easily lift 135 and more. without him there that NEVER would have happened!
    Beverley @ sweaty&fit recently posted…How to Cut Down on Cardio (but get the same results!)My Profile

January 10, 2016 at 8:41 pm

YES!! You have witness the power of being accountable to another human being, hehe!

• Emily

January 8, 2016 at 11:20 pm

I’ve never worked with one, but I would love to if I had enough money in order to build up my back strength for doing a pull-up. 🙂
    Emily recently posted…The Wonders of Redeeming GraceMy Profile

January 13, 2016 at 11:49 am

I have worked with a personal trainer in the past and I love it. I wish I could do it on a regular basis, but with only one full time income, it’s hard to justify the cost!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Weekly Wrap: Outdoor running and big changesMy Profile

January 23, 2016 at 10:12 am

Yes, it is challenging to fit PT into the budget!! Perhaps later on down the road, after your new adventures with school!!