Chocolate Protein Oat Bars {Guest Post}

These Chocolate Protein Oat Bars, courtesy of Fit Mitten Kitchen, are a must-have in your weekly meal prep. After all, what could be better than healthy amounts of oats, fiber, (chocolate) and nut butter?

We all get by with a little help from our (blogger) friends…especially when it’s the Monday after your bachelorette weekend! Ashley of Fit Mitten Kitchen graciously agreed to create a special recipe, JUST for HTF readers. Don’t you feel special? I knew I’d be struggling to create content after being away for a few days, and she came to the rescue with her healthy food expertise. So, without further ado…

Hi, Hello to Fit friends! I’m Ashley from Fit Mitten Kitchen. I am so excited to be here and feel honored to be sharing a recipe with you all on Jess’s platform. When Jess asked if I would help her out with posting this week, I jumped at the opportunity. As I first started blogging, Hello to Fit was one of those blogs I connected with instantly. Jess’s personality shines through in all that she shares, whether that be her blog posts or connecting with other bloggers through commenting, Instagram, or Facebook. I have LOVED connecting with her these past several months and I am so thankful to have her in my blogging life! 😀

Okay, but you aren’t here to read my love for Jess 😉 I’m guessing you’re here for some BA snack material.

I developed a brand spankin’ new recipe for you all and I could not be more pleased with how it turned out!

I decided to share a protein bar with you all because I love my snacks, and I think you guys do too. This is the first protein bar recipe of it’s kind in my “protein bar arsenal”, if you will. When I make homemade protein bars I typically use a lot of vegan protein powder, plus nut butter as the base. To change things up a bit, and hopefully utilize some ingredients you may already have in your pantry I went with rolled oats (gluten-free if needed) and nut butter as my base, then added a few scoops of whey protein powder to up the protein factor. Because you know, #girlswholift need that protein!

These bars are so quick and easy, and require no baking at all! So if you claim you’re not a baker, but you still want some homemade goodies, these Chocolate Oat Protein Bars are for you.

Chocolate Protein Oat Bars recipe from Fit Mitten Kitchen {Guest Post} | Hello to Fit

All you have to do is combine all of the wet ingredients (nut butter, coconut oil, honey) and mix that in with all of the dry ingredients.

Then you press the mixture into a lined pan and refrigerate for about one hour to set before cutting into bars.

Annddd then there’s that optional chocolate topping that really takes these bars to the next level. Who doesn’t want more chocolate? 😉

When my husband tried these, he ate two instantly and said “Dang! These are almost as good as the Brownie Boyfriend Pleasers!” I don’t think he knew they were healthy protein bars… 😀

I hope you all enjoy these Chocolate Oat Protein Bars! I have a feeling they will make their way into my weekly snack rotation 😀

Chocolate Protein Oat Bars {Guest Post}

Serves 12     adjust servings

• 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
  • 3 TBS hemp hearts (or flaxseed)
  • 2 TBS chia seeds
  • 2 TBS cacao (or cocoa) powder
  • 3 scoops (a little less than 1/2 cup) whey protein powder*
  • 3/4 cup chocolate nut butter* (I used Chocolate Nuttzo)
  • 1.5 TBS coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup + 1 TBS raw honey (or brown rice syrup)
  • Topping (optional)
  • 3 TBS mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

1. Line 8×8 pan with parchment paper, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients (oats through protein powder). Set aside.
  3. In a medium microwave safe bowl, add chocolate nut butter, coconut oil, and honey. Microwave for 10-15 seconds, and stir until evenly combined.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir gently until mixture is evenly combined. Mixture will be thick and heavy.
  5. Press mixture into prepared pan, using hands to press evenly into all corners. Place pan in refrigerator for 1 hour to set (or 30 minutes in freezer).
  6. Once bars have set, lift parchment paper from pan and place on cutting board. Using a large sharp knife, cut bars into 12 servings. If using chocolate topping, drizzle melted chocolate on bars and allow to set, about 15 minutes at room temperature.
  7. Store Chocolate Protein Oat Bars in airtight container in fridge up to 2 weeks, or in store in freezer for longer period of time. Enjoy!

Ashley Walterhouse is the turquoise-obsessed blogger behind Fit Mitten Kitchen. On her blog you’ll find recipes from healthier cookies to hearty salads and fun, quick workouts. She enjoys inspiring others to find their healthy way of life through whole foods and fitness.

Thanks for welcoming Ashley to the blog today! I’ll be back this week with a new exercise idea, as well as a recipe on Friday.

• Are you a chocolate and nut butter fan?
  • What food items are you including in your meal prep this week?
  • Have you been out of town for a friend’s bachelor/bachelorette party (or for your own)?
  • What is your go-to snack lately?

• rachel @ athleticavocado

March 7, 2016 at 7:06 am

Chocolate and nut butter all the way for me! Ashley did such a wonderful job on these protein bars, and that chocolate drizzle though! <3
    rachel @ athleticavocado recently posted…Banana Snickerdoodle Donut Muffins {Paleo, GF + Vegan Option!}My Profile

• Margaret @ youngandrungry

March 7, 2016 at 7:22 am

Two of my favorite bloggers in one post! Jess, I hope you had SUCH a great weekend in Charleston and Ashley these look amazing as always! I forget how easy homemade protein bars are because I haven’t made them in so long, but this definitely inspired me!

March 7, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Thanks so much Margaret!

March 7, 2016 at 8:03 am

UM GLORIOUS
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Peace OUT, Funemployment! Hello, Anytime Fitness Chicago!My Profile

March 7, 2016 at 8:22 am

So much goodness here! I hope you are having a blast Jess! Or had a blast and are recovering… haha!
    Love these bars– such a simple, perfect recipe.
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Spring is in the Air- Weekend Photo DumpMy Profile

• Joanna @Makingmine

March 7, 2016 at 8:26 am

These look absolutely amazing! Definitely pinning so I actually remember to give these a try 🙂

March 8, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Would love to hear if you make them Joanna! 🙂

March 7, 2016 at 9:27 am

Oh man those look amazing! Ashley always comes up with yummy recipes!
    Annmarie recently posted…Low Histamine Ginger, Lychee & Coconut Black Rice PuddingMy Profile

March 7, 2016 at 10:15 am

O wowowowow! Ashley nailed it!! I’ll take a dozen!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Chocolate Peanut Butter Power BallsMy Profile

• Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious

March 7, 2016 at 10:46 am

These sounds AH mazing Ashley! I’m all about not having to bake and making my own homemade bars with nutritious ingredients like this.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Herby Edamame Hummus {GF, Low Cal}My Profile

March 7, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Thank you so much Megan! 😀

March 7, 2016 at 10:48 am

Ashley just rocks at all healthy baking/throw-together desserts/protein bar goodness!! Seriously. I love this recipe! I’m a total chocolate and nut butter combo fan!
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Cilantro Pesto Chicken WrapsMy Profile

March 7, 2016 at 10:48 am

March 7, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Aw Chrissa you’re the best <3

• Erin @ The Almond Eater

March 7, 2016 at 12:13 pm

The optional chocolate topping sounds not so optional to me, and these look SO good Ashley! I love that you found a way to stick protein in them.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Chocolate Mint CakeMy Profile

March 7, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Thank you Erin! Sometimes I get nervous using whey protein powder because I’ve gotten so used to the consistency of vegan powders, but I am so happy with how they turned out 😀

• Beverley @ BORNTOSWEAT

March 7, 2016 at 1:09 pm

danggggg. these look so good compared to other bars i’ve tried making in the past, because they don’t look dry at all!!! probably all the chocolate-y nut butter keeps em nice and moist 😉
    Beverley @ BORNTOSWEAT recently posted…Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Coconut OilMy Profile

March 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Beverley you’ve got to make them! And add the chocolate drizzle 😉
      Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Vanilla Bean Almond Pecan ButterMy Profile

March 7, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Yesss these look delicious. I want some right now.
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Back handsprings and BombolinisMy Profile

March 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Erin!

• Alexa [fooduzzi.com]

March 7, 2016 at 6:13 pm

These look delish! I love the flavor combos!
    Alexa [fooduzzi.com] recently posted…Super Rich & Fudgy Gluten Free BrowniesMy Profile

March 8, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Thanks Alexa! 😀

• Sarah

March 7, 2016 at 8:56 pm

What’s not to love about these?!? Pinned for later, thank you for sharing!
    Sarah recently posted…Blueberry Kale Freekeh SaladMy Profile

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks

March 8, 2016 at 12:42 am

PINNED THIS. Always looking for more solid breakfasts on the go!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Chicken Fajita Enchilada BakeMy Profile

March 8, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Starting off your morning with chocolate is always a win in my book. Thanks Dani! 😀

• Christina

March 8, 2016 at 6:57 am

I have been dying for new protein bars and I definitely am going to try these! Ashley always kills it with the bars!!
    Christina recently posted…5-Ingredient Mini Eggplant PizzasMy Profile

March 8, 2016 at 4:16 pm

<3 Thanks Christina! I hope you love em 😀

March 8, 2016 at 12:40 pm

oh my the chocolate drizzle is the kicker! So good! BTW I have tried to subscribe 3 times and I still don’t get them sent to me. I wonder if they are going to spam?
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Roasted Veggie Pasta with Tomato VinegaretteMy Profile

March 8, 2016 at 8:14 pm

The confirmation email might be going to spam? Can you email/FB message me your e-mail address? I can add you manually!

• Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet

March 8, 2016 at 2:20 pm

That chocolate drizzle!! And those photos…that one of the wet ingredients pillowing over the bowl.. you are genius at making me want to eat those right this minute.
    Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet recently posted…Market Haul Monday #1My Profile

March 8, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Aw thank you Cayanne!

March 8, 2016 at 6:56 pm

awwww yes chocolate and nut butter! These look perfect for packing up for a nice long hike!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Race Recap 2016 {1:38:40}My Profile

March 9, 2016 at 9:45 am

My two favorite ladies!! Ashley these bars are right up my alley, I can’t believe how easy they are! Going to be trying these out on Dave really soon, and maybe even a few of my nutrition clients!! Pinning, yumming, eating them all 🙂
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Simple 7 Minute Salmon RecipeMy Profile

March 11, 2016 at 6:35 am

Ah thanks so much Sam! I hope you love them 🙂 (And if you don’t I’d love to hear that too, ha!) 😉
      Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Whole Grain Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins [dairy-free]My Profile

• Pragati // Simple Medicine

March 10, 2016 at 4:09 pm

These look amazing!!!! And easy. Two things I love

March 11, 2016 at 6:36 am

Definitely surprised myself with these Pragati! I was going for easy, yes, but I didn’t expect them to actually turn out SO, so delicious. They taste like something you’d buy from the store with that yummy chocolate coating 😉

March 10, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Yay for Ashley! 😀 Those protein oat bars look so delicious! :] I need more protein snack ideas, so these are perfect!

• Jessie

March 29, 2016 at 6:13 am

Do you deliver? I’ll take a few orders 🙂 Hehe! The chocolate is definitely needed. I bet mixing both dark & white chocolate would be delicious, too!

• Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete

March 29, 2016 at 6:16 am

:O YUS!

• Anna Panza

March 29, 2016 at 9:04 am

I cannot wait to try these!!! Thank you for arranging this special post for us, Jess!! These bars look delicious!! I want one right now!!

March 29, 2016 at 9:21 am

That chocolate drizzle on top is absolutely perfect…. Oh man! It totally seals the deal!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Avocados Get Brownie PointsMy Profile

April 4, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Haha doesn’t it? Ash is awesome.