Blog post

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins will rock your world! Try almond flour as an alternative to regular all-purpose flour, and bake your way to a fluffy, cake-like strawberry banana muffin.

Shopping local is relatively new to me. While visiting my mom in Washington, DC over weekends, we’d often stroll around the city farmer’s markets. And by “stroll”, I mean I sampled all of the fruits and desserts while my mom fulfilled her weekly grocery list. I dabbled in “shopping local” in undergrad during infrequent visits to the farmer’s market or random boutiques downtown.

It wasn’t until moving here to Charlottesville that I made a bigger effort to shop local. While I don’t get to the city market as much as I’d like, there are a number of awesome boutiques – O’Suzannah, Roxie Daisy, and Rock Paper Scissors are my favorites – where I’ve been buying greeting cards and gifts for friends and family.

This week’s Foodie Friday theme is Farmer’s Market Finds, and gave me the perfect opportunity to rave about my first local purchase in Charlottesville: JAM According to Daniel.

Samples of food are the way to my heart, and that’s how I fell in love with JAM According to Daniel three years ago. After a baby spoonful of Strawberry Rhubarb, I was hooked. I can’t even remember the other products I went home with, because this stuck with me.

Unlike your run-of-the-mill jam flavors, JAM According to Daniel is unique. With flavors like blueberry lemon and plum lime, who wouldn’t be interested? Another bonus for me was that there are MINIMAL ingredients involved. Check out the ingredients of our featured strawberry apricot: apricots, strawberries, organic evaporated cane juice, and lemon juice.

I could go on about how addicting this jam is, but let’s get to the actual recipe, yes?

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins | Hello to Fit

Oh. My. Gosh (Becky, look at her butt). ALMOND FLOUR, you’ve won me over.

Neither Ray or I have gluten issues, so stocking up on all-purpose flour is standard at our place. For Hello to Fit, I enjoy experimenting with and sharing oat flour muffin recipes, like these sweet potato muffins or double chocolate zucchini muffins. However, the blogging community had me curious about this thing called “almond flour”. Namely, The Big Man’s World. AKA this recipe.

Thanks to the bulk bins at Whole Foods, I didn’t need to commit to an entire bag of almond flour. Rookie mistake! I should have, since this recipe entered baller-status.

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins | Hello to Fit

Alternative flours leave me skeptical at first. I play the comparison game with all-purpose flour, and I wanted to create a recipe that had a fluffy, muffin-like texture. My first trial was with coconut flour, and the results were less than ideal. Maybe I didn’t play around with the cooking time enough, but the coconut flour muffins turned out kind of wet; they were missing that light and fluffy texture I craved.

These almond flour strawberry banana muffins were a HIT, to say the least. The recipe can be made by hand, which is nice when you’re running low on time and need to whip up a batch for the week. After about 25 minutes, scents of freshly baked banana bread fill the kitchen, and I couldn’t wait to take these babies out of the oven.

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins | Hello to Fit

JAM According to Daniel is like icing on the cake. Before baking, each muffin is topped with a little dollop of jam; by the time the muffins are done, you have a nice swirl of strawberry-apricot jam within each banana muffin.

It’s not a complete muffin recipe if it doesn’t involve trying one right out of the oven. After they cooled down a bit, I took a fork and dug into one. Okay…two. The most obvious difference between using almond flour and coconut flour is seen when you peel the liner away from the muffin: it comes off easy! Again, perhaps I didn’t get my coconut muffins “just right”, but that doesn’t bother me anymore. Coconut flour, you’ve been replaced! Sorry ‘bout it…

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins | Hello to Fit

My favorite way to enjoy these almond flour strawberry banana muffins are alongside a breakfast plate of eggs over easy and half of an avocado. Yesterday, I got a little adventurous and crumbled it overtop of a cup of Siggi’s plain 4% yogurt. Don’t hate ‘till you try! It was like a casual parfait snack between clients.

However you like to enjoy your muffins, don’t be afraid to experiment with different flours! I wouldn’t necessarily stick with just almond flour 100% of the time, but it’s nice to try new things and see what passes The Ray Taste Test (test is passed when Ray says “yes” to the question, “Would you eat this again?”). Spoiler alert: he thought these were delicious.

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins | Hello to Fit

Almond Flour Strawberry Banana Muffins

Preparation 0:00 2017-06-28T00:00:00+00:00 Cook Time 0:00 2017-06-28T00:00:00+00:00 Total Time 0:00 2017-06-28T00:00:00+00:00
Serves 10-12     adjust servings

• 2 cups almond flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • pinch of Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 medium banana, diced
  • 1 8 jar strawberry apricot JAM According to Daniel

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, syrup, vinegar, vanilla, and coconut oil. Quickly combine wet and dry ingredients with a spatula, making sure to avoid over-mixing.
  3. Carefully fold in diced banana. Evenly scoop batter into muffin pan with a spoon. Top each muffin with 1 teaspoon of jam, and use a toothpick to gently swirl jam into batter.
  4. Bake in oven for 25-27 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  5. Cool on a cooling rack before removing. Serve warm, or store in an airtight container in the fridge. Muffins can be removed from fridge and either toasted or heated in microwave oven to enjoy later.

foodiefriday_thumb

• What alternatives to all-purpose flour do you like to use?
  • Do you shop in the bulk bins at Whole Foods?
  • What’s your favorite flavor of jam?
  • How do you shop local?

• Ashley

May 20, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Muffins and yogurt, heck yes! I love the look of these muffins, Jess! And love supporting local businesses too. That jam looks so good.
    I love whole wheat white flour for more nutritional value compared to all-purpose. And because I am not gluten-intolerant I often use that in baking. But again, love experimenting with different alternatives. Coconut, oat, and almond flours are my other go-tos!

• Beverley @ BORNTOSWEAT

May 20, 2016 at 1:26 pm

honestly, almond flour is my absolute FAV. i’ve only baked with it a couple times and have loved the outcome each time. plus it’s so much healthierrrrrrrrr and usually on sale at Bulk Barn (so obviously i love).
    Have a great weekend Jess! xx
    Beverley @ BORNTOSWEAT recently posted…Oven Roasted Salmon Rice BowlMy Profile

• Emily

May 20, 2016 at 1:40 pm

What do you think helped you make the shift to buying locally?
    Emily recently posted…Friday Favorites: Ireland is AmazingMy Profile

May 20, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Bulk bins = life!!!!!! It’s my “nut” paradise 😉
    That jam sounds lovely!!
    I always gravitate towards fruit butters though! Namely apple butter or pear butter <3 SO good!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 5/20/16My Profile

• Liz @ The Clean Eating Couple

May 20, 2016 at 1:52 pm

That jam look so yummy!! I love buying things like that from small, local businesses. So much better than what you find in store.

May 20, 2016 at 2:02 pm

These look so delicious. Can you just come over and bake for me? I seem to only get the baking bug when it turns cold out in the fall and winter.
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Five Things Friday #87My Profile

• Sarah

May 20, 2016 at 3:14 pm

These look delicious Jess, and I bet they smell amazing when baking them! Happy Foodie Friday, hope you have a great weekend!
    Sarah recently posted…Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake (vegan, gluten free)My Profile

May 20, 2016 at 4:12 pm

I’m not usually a strawberry banana person, but that is because I don’t like the oooooverly banana flavor. I feel like this would work!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Empowering Quotes To Help Maintain PerspectiveMy Profile

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks

May 20, 2016 at 5:59 pm

The local finds in Charlottesville are so bountiful! I always love seeing what Kath Eats Real Food posts about the new products and everything in cville.

May 20, 2016 at 6:30 pm

WOW you texture here is SPOT ON! I must make these. Coconut flour is definitely tricky since it’s so DENSE. Jess you nailed these muffins. I cannot wait to make them – I’m sure my little guy will love too!

• Elissa

May 20, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I love using almond flour – I agree it really adds something very tasty to baked goodies.
    Elissa recently posted…Apple, pear and raspberry crumbleMy Profile

• Les @ The Balanced Berry

May 20, 2016 at 7:41 pm

These muffins look so good, and that jam sounds incredible. Love using almond flour for baking. And samples are the way to my heart too. That’s why I love Costco so much haha.
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Healthy Trader Joe’s Grocery StaplesMy Profile

May 20, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Girl these muffins. I’m swooning. I haven’t had a banana muffin in so long. Please give me these now!!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Plant Based Diet FAQ’sMy Profile

• kerri mcgrail

May 20, 2016 at 10:27 pm

I used to HATE strawberry-banana flavored things/ combination, but now I have been doing strawberries and bananas in my oats & love the combo! These sound good! Love using bananas in baking!
    kerri mcgrail recently posted…6 Best Ways to Improve DigestionMy Profile

• Joscelyn | Wifemamafoodie

May 21, 2016 at 12:27 am

Ooh, I have a bag of almond flour begging to be used. These sound so delish, Jess! Love how you added jam too. I heart the bulk bins, especially for my grains and nuts! Berry jams are my fave…and peach too! YUM!
    Joscelyn | Wifemamafoodie recently posted…Foodie Friend Friday: Christine from Yommme!My Profile

• Jen

May 21, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Yummmy! These look so tasty! I’m always looking for muffin recipes that don’t call for regular flour! I need to go to our farmer’s market! It just opened a couple weeks ago and I have yet to go. I love getting jam from there – always so much better than store bought. I love a good mixed berry or raspberry!
    Jen recently posted…Drawing the line between making excuses & listening to your bodyMy Profile

• Alexa [fooduzzi.com]

May 22, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Glad you’ve hopped on the almond flour train! Baking with almond flour is my FAVORITE. It’s so chewy and moist – in love! These muffins look absolutely spectacular – perfect for summer1

May 22, 2016 at 5:48 pm

anything with banana and strawberry is a fan fave over here! Yum
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Run Safer At Night with RunLites + GiveawayMy Profile

• Kristy @ Southern In Law

May 22, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Oooh, these look so so good! I am loving anything with strawberry jam at the moment so I’ll have to try them out!

As for shopping local, we try to shop at our local farmers market as much as possible! Not only is the produce so much tastier as it’s fresh, it’s fun to hear the stories of the growers too!
    Kristy @ Southern In Law recently posted…Recipe: Healthy Chicken and Dumpling SoupMy Profile

• lindsay Cotter

May 22, 2016 at 10:39 pm

daniel is spot on! icing on the cake in JAM form! <3 it

May 22, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I love this idea! 😀 Yay for almond flour! I haven’t made muffins in a while, but this would be a great way to get back in there! 😛 (Yay for farmer’s markets! <3 I just got some jam from my local market that I'm super excited to use too! :] )
    Farrah recently posted…Simple Baked EggsMy Profile

• Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen

May 23, 2016 at 7:17 am

I love strawberry and banana together – I need to try these! 🙂

May 23, 2016 at 9:03 am

I love love love almond flour! Always makes the most amazing baked goods!
    Annmarie recently posted…Easy Gnocchi Potato Salad {Gluten Free, Vegan}My Profile

May 23, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I love the bulk bins! They’re my favorite part of the grocery store after the produce department. These muffins look delicious! Too bad I don’t have enough almond flour on hand or I would make them right now.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Jack and Jill (Half?) Marathon Training Week 6My Profile

May 23, 2016 at 8:45 pm

These look yummy I love that they are made with Almond flour yum yum

May 24, 2016 at 4:00 am

The muffins look delicious Jess. Almond flour is one of my favorites for baking gluten free.

• Rachel

May 24, 2016 at 8:54 am

These sound heavenly!!

May 27, 2016 at 8:19 am

Yummy! I love local goods. So good to support the community.
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Fashion Friday – Cute Casual JeansMy Profile