Simple Peach Berry Cobbler

Simple Peach Berry Cobbler will be your new summer go-to for dessert! Ripe peaches mixed with a medley of berries, topped with a crumbly flour mixture is the way to go for your next picnic, potluck, or weekend treat.

Returning to blogging after an unplanned hiatus – thanks to wedding planning and preparing to move – feels like catching up with old friends. You’re anxious to get to the lunch or coffee date location (or WordPress), you want to hear and share every single detail during the hiatus (I’ll try to keep it brief), yet it’s like you’ve never been apart (besides the weeks of friends’ blog posts you want to read).

Our wedding weekend was spectacular. It’s crazy to think that 14 months of planning dwindles down to less than 8 hours of celebrations, but all of the hard work (and later on, stress) was worth it! Celebrating a happy event with our families and friends was all we wanted, and it went without any glitches. Well, besides the fact that the bus delivering all of the guests to the venue broke down! People either waited for a new bus or called Ubers to get to the ceremony, and the only way we found out was through a single text that went through to Ray’s sister’s phone!

Copyright C. Tyler Corvin Studio - All rights reserved http://www.ctylercorvin.com

Photo: C. Tyler Corvin Studio

Photo: C. Tyler Corvin Studio

Following our wedding – and then a friend’s wedding the day after – we headed down to Riveria Maya for a honeymoon. Luckily, Ray and I are on the same page when it comes to vacationing. With mostly days of relaxation and taking less than 10,000 steps Smile with tongue out, we did sprinkle in a couple days of being active and going on an excursion. The resort had kayaks and hobby cats (tiny catamarans), which we took out onto the crisp, blue Caribbean waters.

Hello from Mexico

A photo posted by Jess Dang (@hellotofit_) on

During the middle of our trip, we took a tour down in Tulum. A couple hours were spent walking around the ancient Mayan ruins, and the remainder of the tour was filled with snorkeling…WITH SEA TURTLES! After a few minutes of adjusting to a) breathing out of my mouth, and b) taking breaths from something MUCH smaller than…the open air, I could enjoy the surroundings. During our swim I saw about four or five turtles, and you should’ve heard all the girls squealing when they came up to the surface (they do so every 10 minutes, according to our guide) for air!

Now that Ray and I are back, it’s time to hustle for our move next Thursday. There’s a light at the end of the adult-life tunnel…

One thing (among many) that I missed about blogging? Sharing a recipe with you for Foodie Friday. I missed two, and it felt WEIRD! Today’s theme is “Food Blogger Love”. The task was to adapt a recipe from a food blogger, and it was the perfect opportunity for me to try (a twist on) Lauren’s recipe for an easy mixed berry cobbler.

Catch-up dates with @heyricecake are the best . Until next time… #BGBcommunity #bloggerfriends

A photo posted by Jess Dang (@hellotofit_) on

Lauren and I connected through the Virginia Bloggers community, and as luck would have it, we didn’t meet until AFTER I moved to Charlottesville. At the time, she was still living in northern VA, and we were able to meet up a couple of times when I traveled back up to visit. Our first coffee date at Dolcezza turned into a multiple hour, catch-up-with-old-but-actually-new-friend event. Isn’t it odd how two people can just CLICK? I’m gushing.

Anyway, Lauren is a fantastic lady, currently in grad school to be a Registered Dietician. When she posted this recipe last spring, I immediately saved it for future baking. A year later, and I’m finally making it. Sorry, Lo! Rolling on the floor laughing.

Simple Peach Berry Cobbler | Hello to Fit

Would you agree that, as you’ve grown older, you learn to accept certain characteristics about yourself? I’ve always wished that I paid 100% of my attention to detail, 110% of the time. But…that simply isn’t true. It always starts out that way, but I can never follow through with details (unless my job depends on it). Take cooking, for example. I fully embrace semi-spherical protein balls and burger patties that are not truly disc-shaped. Thank goodness I’m not a chef at a fancy restaurant whose main concern is presentation.

Simple Peach Berry Cobbler | Hello to Fit

My 80% detail-oriented self rejoices in this cobbler, and we can all get straight to the fact that this dish tastes PHENOMENAL. Didn’t cut your peaches into perfectly measured pieces? Not a concern. Forgot to whip out a ruler to measure the exact distance between each sprinkle of cobbler? We’re still friends. Let the jury note that I fully appreciate detail in all things, ESPECIALLY food. Seeing dishes that are presented with the utmost attention to detail makes me happy. It’s an art that I enjoy looking at (and then eating), rather than creating myself. For now.

When you make this dish for Father’s Day this weekend, a July 4th BBQ next month, or anytime you’re craving something sweet, get excited for each of your five senses to be blown away:

Sight: even if the peaches aren’t perfectly diced, check out the vibrant colors bursting out of your screen! The pops of orange and purple from the fruits had me eating a few bites before dinner…

Sound: …of your friend/significant other saying “This is good!” will make your day, and you’ll want to celebrate with a second serving.

Taste: Coconutty cobbler topping, sweet peaches and blackberries, all married together to make one (easy) cobbler recipe that’s worthy of going into your recipe box. AKA it’s scrumptious.

Scent: I love the smell of baked goods. But baked goods that have coconut products and fruit? Heaven in your oven.

Feel: as far as texture goes, this covers the bases. You’ll get the smooth ripeness of the peach, bites of blackberries that held their shape, and doughy cobbler topping.

Simple Peach Berry Cobbler | Hello to Fit

Simple Peach Berry Cobbler

Serves 8     adjust servings

• 2 cups fresh blackberries
  • 2 large, ripe peaches, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8½” x 11″ baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine peaches, berries, and lemon juice. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside.
  4. In a medium bowl, beat coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla until smooth and well incorporated. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet, using a wooden spoon. Dough will start to form. Mix until crumbly texture forms.
  5. Spread fruit mixture evenly on bottom of pan, and top with cobbler topping.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until fruit mixture is bubbly and topping looks golden.
  7. Serve hot, or store – covered – in the fridge.

foodiefriday_thumb

Pin for Later:

Simple and Delicious Peach Berry Cobbler

• What fruits would you put in your cobbler dish?
  • Where are you on the Attention to Detail scale?
  • Do you have any vacations lined up?
  • Favorite summer fruit is: _______

June 17, 2016 at 7:39 am

Such a beautiful bride, my friend! Welcome back xoxoxo
    This cobbler is stunning as well! xoxo
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 6/17/16My Profile

June 17, 2016 at 11:58 am

Thank you so much, Rebecca!! Feels SO good to be back. Can’t wait to get back into the blogging routine. XOXO hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

• Linz @ Itz Linz

June 17, 2016 at 8:14 am

oooh a home baked cobbler?!?! AMAZING!!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Friday FavoritesMy Profile

June 17, 2016 at 11:58 am

Ohhh you must try, Linz!! It tastes like summer 🙂

June 17, 2016 at 8:25 am

Congrats again, Jess. You looked absolutely STUNNING. So very happy for you! And this looks so yummy- it might just be the queen of all cobblers!!!
    Annmarie recently posted…Simply Delicious Sweet Potato Egg NestsMy Profile

June 17, 2016 at 11:57 am

Thank you, my friend 🙂 I’m happy to get back into the normal-ish swing of things!!

June 17, 2016 at 8:54 am

I am so, so, so happy for you Jess! I love seeing your wedding pictures — and your dress!! So gorgeous. Congratulations, again 🙂
    Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted…Strong Arms and Plank Variation WorkoutMy Profile

June 17, 2016 at 11:57 am

Brie, thank you so much!! XOXO

June 17, 2016 at 9:00 am

Jess your wedding looked beautiful!! Congrats to you and Ray 😀 It really does go by so fast doesn’t it? I had some MAJOR waterworks the day after the wedding. I literally could not stop crying happy tears just thinking how helpful and amazing everyone was. It felt so unlike me to cry like that but man, it just happened!
    Anyways, glad to have you back and good luck with your move!!
    Oh, and this cobbler looks beyond amazing. Love the combo of peaches and blackberries! And Lauren is lovely <3 😀
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Thai Slaw with Cashew Curry Dressing [ Healthy Summer BBQ Recipes ]My Profile

June 17, 2016 at 11:57 am

Thank you, Ash!! Aw hahah I wish I cried a little! I kept telling myself to keep it together, haha. Purely out of fear that if I started, I wouldn’t stop. XOXO

• Beverley @ BORNTOSWEAT

June 17, 2016 at 9:09 am

you look so fknnnn gorgeous i can’t stand it!! you two are adorable and i wish you the HAPPIESTTTTTT FUTURE EVER. <3
    also i totally agree re: the 14 months of planning – it's actually insane to me that so much goes into one day. My wedding will be so quick & easy. I've already decided we're serving dim sum at the reception 😉 (Not that i've been proposed to yet or anything… just planning, you know)
    Beverley @ BORNTOSWEAT recently posted…Weekly Workout Wrap Up – Summer vs Winter ProductivityMy Profile

June 17, 2016 at 11:56 am

HI HI HI!!! Bahah thank youu. OMG dim sum would be sooooo amazing. Your future guests would love it ;). Hey, it’s never too early to plan….!?

• Sam

June 17, 2016 at 10:16 am

Congrats on getting married!!! You guys look great 🙂

June 17, 2016 at 11:55 am

THANK YOU!

June 17, 2016 at 12:17 pm

This post just made me a MUSHY GUSHY inside because 1) YOU’RE MARRIED and 2) I MISS YOU! You’re totally right. You can completely screw up the look of this cobbler and it will still look amazing. I can’t wait to try YOUR rendition of it…this weekend! I’m craving it hardcore right now! Thanks for including me in such a sweet blog pot. You are the best! XO

June 21, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Tehehee. You are awesome. And let’s find a way to squish the US a little closer together, eh? 🙂 hehe.

• Erin @ The Almond Eater

June 17, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Such a beautiful wedding, and what a crazy weekend! A wedding right after yours?! I bet you were so ready for Mexico. Congrats on your wedding, Mrs!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Turkey Sandwich SkewersMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Yes, super crazy!! And yours is coming soon, right?! XOXO

• Jessica @ Nutritioulicious

June 17, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Congrats on your wedding – you look gorgeous and so happy! Speaking of gorgeous, this cobbler certainly looks good! Can’t wait to try it this summer!

June 21, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Jessica! Hope you get around to making it – I wonder how it would taste with other fruit combos 🙂

• Ellie | Hungry by Nature

June 17, 2016 at 2:25 pm

You looked so gorgeous Jess! And it sounds like the perfect honeymoon. This cobbler looks perfect for Father’s Day weekend!
    Ellie | Hungry by Nature recently posted…5 Ingredient Cranberry Pistachio Energy BitesMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Thank you, Ellie!! It was a great time.

• Liz // pumpkin & peanut butter

June 17, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Gorgeous wedding photo!! Sounds like it was the most perfect day 🙂 Totally adding this cobbler to my list to try— love the combination of flavors!!

June 21, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Thank you, Liz! Oh, I hope you enjoy the cobbler – the colors alone are so summery 😉

• Julia @ Drops of Jules

June 17, 2016 at 3:55 pm

What a crazy thing to happen to the bus! I’m happy all else went smoothly. It looked like a gorgeous wedding. I hope to read more about your life as a newlywed! 🙂
    Julia @ Drops of Jules recently posted…Two Days Left Before I’m Off!My Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Oh yes, it was bizarre, but everything turned out okay! Thanks, Julia 🙂

• Kristy from Southern In Law

June 17, 2016 at 5:03 pm

You looked absolutely stunning, Jess! It sounds like you have had an incredible time over the last couple of weeks and I am so happy for you! Welcome back!

This looks like the perfect summer dessert!
    Kristy from Southern In Law recently posted…Recent Things: eBay Engrish Fails and Long Weekend AdventuresMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Thanks, Kristy! It’s been a WHIRLWIND, but I’m happy to be back 🙂

• Giselle Schroer

June 18, 2016 at 9:30 am

I LOVE cobblers, crumbles and crisps during the summer months. So good! Especially this combo. Definitely one of my favorites!!!! Right now we have an abundance of plums so I made a plum crips the other day I’ve been enjoying with vanilla ice cream almost nightly 🙂 Love seeing your wedding pictures! You looked gorgeous as always 🙂

June 21, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Hey, Giselle! 🙂 Ohh I NEED to try making a plum crisp. And you’re right – can’t forget the ice cream!! XOXO

June 18, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Congrats on your wedding again Jess, it looked so amazing! This cobbler looks amazing too. Perfect for Fathers day!
    Ivanna recently posted…7 AMAZING THINGS I’M GRATEFUL FOR TODAY #3My Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Thanks, Ivanna!! I appreciate it 🙂

• SUSIE @ SUZLYFE

June 19, 2016 at 7:41 am

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII friend!!!! I missed you. You wedding was simply stunning, just STUNNING. And so is this cobbler, if I might add. You have so many incredibly exciting events and goings on happing right now, and I am just excited for you! xoxo

June 21, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Well HELLOOOO, beautiful!!! Missed you back!! Gosh, I need a serious Susie catch-up sesh.
      Ray and I really chose to do all of the most stressful things together at once, huh?

June 19, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I loved seeing all your great wedding photos! You look gorgeous and so happy. Congratulations to both of you on your new life together
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Tri This! A Fun Way To Mix Up Your Run Routine & Why You ShouldMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Thanks, Deborah!! It was a fun weekend, for sure 🙂 ..and tiring.

June 19, 2016 at 11:09 pm

You look STUNNING in your wedding photos, congratulations to you both!! This cobbler looks so delicious.
    Brittany recently posted…Early Morning ConfessionsMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Hiiii, Britt!! Thank you!! We finished it in just a few days…

June 20, 2016 at 8:20 am

Welcome back! Missed checking in on you and so glad the wedding and honeymoon went well. Your wedding party all looks so pretty in that picture. I love the combination of dresses/tuxes. So nice! And you, of course look stunning.
    As does your peach berry cobbler… perfect or not 🙂
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Currently… (June 2016)My Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:20 pm

No worries, Julie!! Glad to be back in the blogging world 🙂

June 20, 2016 at 8:37 am

Congratulations Jess! You look so so happy.

I can’t think of a summer fruit that I don’t like. It’s my favorite season for fruit. Your recipe looks delicious and it’s easy to tweak to make it gluten free.

June 21, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Many thanks, Jill!! Same here – summer fruits are simply the best!!

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

June 20, 2016 at 10:47 am

Congrats, Jess!!!! All of your wedding photos are absolutely gorgeous 🙂 (And that cobbler is pretty gorgeous, too!) haha

June 21, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Thank you, Liz! Haha when the lighting is good for food photography, anything is possible 😉

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks

June 20, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Been loving following along with all of your pictures on facebook. Your wedding looked so beautiful! Can’t wait to hear more about it!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Weekend Recap & Weekly Meal Plan & Workouts IIIMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Aw, thanks, Dani!! It was awesome, and I hope all of our guests had a good time, too.

June 20, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Welcome backkkkkk!!! All your photos were so, so gorgeous! <3!!! Congrats again!! :]!! (And sorry for the liberal use of exclamation points, but I'm still so happy/excited for you?! :D?)

(The cobbler looks all sorts of awesome too!!) Peaches and berries are some of my favorite fruits ever!
    Farrah recently posted…Caprese SaladMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, my friend!! Hahah I love exclamation points 😉

June 21, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Beautiful wedding photos – congratulations to you and Ray! Your dress, hair, and make up are all stunning. This cobbler looks delicious – love the bright summer colors from some of my favorite fruits!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Post Long Run ChecklistMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Thanks, Laura! It was a blast, although I don’t know if I’d want to plan a wedding all over again 😛

June 21, 2016 at 4:49 pm

SUCH A STUNNING BRIDE!!! But I already knew you would be. Congrats and glad you had an amazing honeymoon. I love the fresh feel of summer with this cobbler. I must make it when family comes to visit in August!
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Paleo Banana Cream Pie CookiesMy Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Daww thank you, Chrissa!! Oh I hope everyone will love it!! You can swap for different fruits, too 🙂

June 21, 2016 at 5:08 pm

So glad you’re back and had a great time! I did not get to see magical turtles, but I did play with a lot of stray animals haha.
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Five Things Friday #91My Profile

June 21, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Thank you, my friend!! Hahah that’s amazing. Hope you had a good time, too!! Love the pics on your IG.

June 22, 2016 at 12:24 am

You are an absolutely STUNNING bride!!